California - Northern

The should be fine! Even with a low of 32ish it is not that cold for chickens.

Contrats on the new one @Docdetective and the 5 week olds going outside @impr3 !

Thanks! Tonight's their first night out so I'm not sure I'm going to sleep much even if they sleep just fine :rolleyes:. I'll be out at the crack of dawn to make sure none of them froze or got eaten by our local raccoon family (I followed all of the recommendations to raccoon-proof the coop but am still paranoid).

I have a question...
I'm in Stockton - it gets cold and rains sometimes but there's no snow. I've been reading about "winterizing the coop" but most are from places that snow. There was light rain on friday but my girls didn't seem to mind but it made me wonder.
...is there anything I should prepare for with chickens in this environment? Do they stop laying in the winter even though it doesn't get drastically cold?

I have a question...
I'm in Stockton - it gets cold and rains sometimes but there's no snow. I've been reading about "winterizing the coop" but most are from places that snow. There was light rain on friday but my girls didn't seem to mind but it made me wonder.
...is there anything I should prepare for with chickens in this environment? Do they stop laying in the winter even though it doesn't get drastically cold?
Less sunlight in the winter causes most hens to decrease or stop laying altogether for weeks or even months. Individuals will vary based on age and breed.

I think chickens handle cold better than heat. I don't do anything special for mine except to have places for them to keep out of the rain. If they are wet and we have a freeze overnight they might get some frostbite. Around here, a freeze and rain rarely come at the same time, so not usually a worry.

Back
Top Bottom