California - Northern

Less sunlight in the winter causes most hens to decrease or stop laying altogether for weeks or even months. Individuals will vary based on age and breed.

I think chickens handle cold better than heat. I don't do anything special for mine except to have places for them to keep out of the rain. If they are wet and we have a freeze overnight they might get some frostbite. Around here, a freeze and rain rarely come at the same time, so not usually a worry.
This is good advice!

I do not winterize here since things do not freeze. Chickens will be fine in the rain as long as they have a place to stay dry at night.

I used to worry about them but they love the rain-- especially when the worms come up

This is good advice!

I do not winterize here since things do not freeze. Chickens will be fine in the rain as long as they have a place to stay dry at night.

I used to worry about them but they love the rain-- especially when the worms come up
The rain makes lots of things appear, like magic! I have little arboreal salamanders crawling around outside the garage door right now.

Anyone near Modesto looking for a Buff Orpington rooster? I have one that is 17 weeks old. He is very friendly with the other hens and towards people. I don't want him ending up as stew. He has been vaccinated by McMurray hatchery against Marek's and Coccidiosis. He is used to eating Modesto Milling organic non-soy crumbles.
20201120_083147.jpg

Back
Top Bottom