California - Northern

Hi all - I've got two Easter Egger cockerels in Oakland that need a new home. I've posted on the buy-sell-trade and free rehoming forums here, as well as the Bay Area Craigslist with no interest so far. (side note vent - I've only gotten 6 chicks ever and all 3 EE's have been cockerels and they weren't straight run!). My first time, I didn't know where to look and was overwhelmed by what to do, waited until I had a hormonal 16+w cockerel that was causing problems and took him to Mike's Feed and Pet in San Leandro, but I felt guilty about it. Despite what the employees said, it was unclear to me what if any safeguards there were against mistreatment. I mean, it's impossible to know for sure in most cases, but this seemed like people just walk in and say they want a rooster and it's handed over.

Are there any places/ways I am missing to find a home for them within an hour of Oakland - either to be humanely raised for food (they're only 8w now), or a possibility that someone might want them for their flock?

Thanks!
Have you tried the Facebook groups for the Northern CA area? They are pretty active and I know there was supposedly someone near San Jose starting a rooster rescue...I don't remember what her name was though.

I also found this lady - https://funkychickenrescue.com/ you could contact. She might be a bit far, but also might know others closer to you. Rehoming roosters is sooo hard. :(

Edited to add - this person is near Santa Cruz! http://henharbor.org/

Have you tried the Facebook groups for the Northern CA area? They are pretty active and I know there was supposedly someone near San Jose starting a rooster rescue...I don't remember what her name was though.

I also found this lady - https://funkychickenrescue.com/ you could contact. She might be a bit far, but also might know others closer to you. Rehoming roosters is sooo hard. :(

Edited to add - this person is near Santa Cruz! http://henharbor.org/
Thank you for the links! I'll try contacting both of those! I can't remember whether I had found the funky chicken one last time, or whether it was another one up near Sacramento, but it looked like the website info was out of date and/or it was no longer taking animals. I'll check this time.

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to search for local chicken FB groups yet - I'll check it out!

I was able to rehome a cockerel on a Facebook group. He has a great life now! And he wasn't a fancy breed - just a white Leghorn. I kinda miss the fella. He was a nice boy. I still get updates from his new mom. There's one below!

Point is, you never know who wants a new cockerel for their flock. If Cayenne here can find a home...
received_1248118859272971.jpeg

Hi

I was in a similar situation and surrendered my rooster at Penninsula Feed Store in San Mateo. They charge $30 to take them and check for health, mites etc, before doing so. They say that they will only sell them to farms etc. that need roosters but at the end of the day, you have to take their word for it.

The store does have a large number of birds and they breed them there as well, I got my chicks from them last year, all of them were healthy and the store does have a good reputation.

Good Luck

Hi

I was in a similar situation and surrendered my rooster at Penninsula Feed Store in San Mateo. They charge $30 to take them and check for health, mites etc, before doing so. They say that they will only sell them to farms etc. that need roosters but at the end of the day, you have to take their word for it.

The store does have a large number of birds and they breed them there as well, I got my chicks from them last year, all of them were healthy and the store does have a good reputation.

Good Luck
Thanks for the tip!

Hi NorCal peeps! I've been lurking a long time, and now finally have the space to start my little flock. I've ordered them, and I have a few available to good homes. Here are details:

Hi everyone, I'm in the East Bay and I have Lavender Ameraucana, Blue Birchen Maran, and Steele Egger chicks coming from Meyer Hatchery the week of January 3. They had an order minimum that is more than I need, so I'm looking for homes for a few (all female) chicks. Prices are what they charged me (rounded down), not including the shipping costs.

2 - Lavender Ameraucana - $40 each
1 - Blue Birchen Maran - $27 each
1 - Steele Egger - $6 each (here are details on this breed: https://meyerhatchery.com/products/#!/Steele-Egger-Day-Old-Chicks/p/242963882)

If you're interested, please let me know and we can arrange payment to lock down your chick(s). Prefer that you're nearby and can pick up your chicks right away, week of Jan 3. Thank you!

Hi NorCal peeps! I've been lurking a long time, and now finally have the space to start my little flock. I've ordered them, and I have a few available to good homes. Here are details:

Hi everyone, I'm in the East Bay and I have Lavender Ameraucana, Blue Birchen Maran, and Steele Egger chicks coming from Meyer Hatchery the week of January 3. They had an order minimum that is more than I need, so I'm looking for homes for a few (all female) chicks. Prices are what they charged me (rounded down), not including the shipping costs.

1 - Steele Egger - $6 each (here are details on this breed: https://meyerhatchery.com/products/#!/Steele-Egger-Day-Old-Chicks/p/242963882)

If you're interested, please let me know and we can arrange payment to lock down your chick(s). Prefer that you're nearby and can pick up your chicks right away, week of Jan 3. Thank you!
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy your new flock.

Welcome! I'm glad you're able to get your flock going!

That is so tempting - I'd be happy with any of those breeds. I'm already picking up chicks from Alchemist Farm at the end of February and I don't really want to go through two integrations back to back, or take care of babies for two months straight not close enough to integrate together easily, and technically, I only have room to add one chick alone (which I wouldn't want to do without a broody mama). That being said, feel free to message me if you don't have any other takers and I may be able to figure something out... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom