California - Northern

It is freezing. Did those of you near by Mt Diablo see that snow? My girls are in a straw filled shed but it is without heat will they be OK? I have one frizzle too. I know they can not keep warm. Will she be ok?

Yup, snow all over the hills of the East Bay! We see snow on Mt. Diablo pretty much every year, but rarely on the hills of Briones Regional Park

Chickens are pretty good at keeping each other warm. How many chickens do you have? Do they all roost together? If your coop is draft free and not somewhere that it is getting a lot of wind they should be fine.

Yeah being from Florida myself I was pretty astounded by the low snow in the foothills. So very pretty. I have lived in the East Bay for nearly 20 years and not seen the snow on the foothills before.
I have 15 hens in a mixed flock the big girls
I am not so worried about 2 black stars, red comet, 1 leghorn, 1 rock, 1 russian orloff, they roost
I am not really worried about the 2 standard cochins, or the bantam cochin, 1 silkie hangs with them they do not roost but do huddle together at night
I am a little worried about the cochin frizzle but she hangs with the cochins as does the silkie.
I am very worried about my to outcasts a sultan they pick on and a lakenvelder with on side slightly paralyzed that is also a loner. They roost apart from the others.
They can not stay in the coop during the day as it has no light inside.
During the day my girls are herded to a run on the side of the house that has leaves and a shelter a couple of nest boxes and a cover for the to keep the rain out. Days are warmer though

I live in the gold country foothills, about halfway between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe and got hit with about a foot of snow. We've been without power since 4am Monday... no power means no water, so I've been melting snow and hauling hot water to the chickens, ducks, turks and emus. By the time I hoof it to the barn and coops they get nice warm water. My chickens, ducks and turkeys have coops constructed out of corrugated metal sheets, with just hardware cloth doors in the front. No heat lamps, no heated waterers, and they're all thriving! I've had more eggs this week than last week when I had supplemental light on the layers' coop! Crazy birds. My only "problem" has been that I think the emu eggs freeze before I've been able to collect them. The emus have a nice 8' x 8' wood coop, very sturdy, with a raised floor... however they choose to build their nest under a large cedar tree at the opposite end of their run. DH and I built a makeshift "coop" for them to keep the snow off the nest and protect them from rain and high winds.

We finally got the downed trees cleared from our 1/4 mile driveway, and once we chained up were able to get one of our trucks to the top of the road. At night the road freezed over again with about an inch of black ice, so we leave the truck at the top of the hill and hoof it up and down. Ahhh, the joys of living in the country
lol.png

Woohoo... power's still out but we just got cell phone service again! Hopefully we'll get power back before we run out of fuel for the generator!

Hope everyone else came through the storm without serious damage. I'm SO looking forward to a good hot shower!

Quote:
Yea it should be considered Northern to most, myself included.

Hey folks. I am considering buying a 50 lb bag of DE from RiverTown in Petaluma but there is no way I personally will go through that amount in a decent amount of time with 8 chickens. I was wondering if anyone wants to go in on a bag with me and we could split the cost. It's around $40 for 50 lbs. so the investment wouldn't be outragous. Feel free to PM me if interested, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom