California - Northern

Quote:
Good idea
thumbsup.gif

There are a bunch of turkeys running around Antioch, Are they wild/native turkeys or are they feral/domestic turkeys. I am interested but don't know who to ask. I will try to get pictures.

We were at Western Farm in Santa Rosa this afternoon ... they just had a shipment (9/13) of chicks
jumpy.gif
... including sex-linked, marans, and about four other breeds. They also have some "older hens" (no age listed) @ $8.00/each. ..... just bought some DE - 50 pounds ... cheaper than the 1 1/2 pounds as the other choice.
D.gif

Ha! I saw those "older hens" today at Western Farm, too! Wondered what was up with that??? Why would they carry "older" hens? Lots of roos there, too... Went to get some diatomous earth to put in the henhouse as prevention...

Quote:
I think many people don't want to raise chicks in the garage, kitchen-family (like what we did for 10 weeks!), etc. so they buy pullets from Western Farm - that's what Larry and JP have told me.
D.gif
"Older" hens = ?? age, perhaps 1 to 2 years old?? And, probably some others just want the chickens for cooking?? I've never asked the people buying the chickens what they plan to do with them. There must be a market, or WF wouldn't buy them. Larry and JP must know, or they wouldn't buy them from people to re-sell. I don't see that many "older chickens" at Riverton Feed in Petaluma. Western Farm has always been my favorite store for years and years!

Last week JP told me he had a 'lady bringing in lots of 7 month old sussex, etc. because she was quitting the egg business'. I didn't look at the price. Last time I saw hens there it was 2 young sexlink pullets for $20 each.
I have a bunch of boys for him, when he has room. (Light Brahma, Black (lav split) orp with side spurs on his comb, Cochin/Barnevelder, etc., and maybe the blue partridge showgirl silkie who wakes me up every day).

Back
Top Bottom