California - Northern

Quote:
Hi Jenesis: I'm in Sunnyvale. Is there anything you're interested in from the Stockton show? I could bring something back for you by way of the chicken train...

Hi everyone,

We were recently talking about an episode of Animal Hoarding where the guy had a bunch of chickens. If you are interested in adopting any of his roosters, here is a link to a Sacramento craigslist ad which also contains a link to the animal sanctuary place where these roosters are available for adoption.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/2183418484.html

I'll probably be cross-posting this in the Bay Area thread, as well, for anyone that might be interested in checking this place out for ANY of the birds they have available for adoption.

Have a great day!

--Jerrilynn
aka HHandbasket

Quote:
Hi jenesis! Welcome! I live just up the road from you in Los Gatos (in the mountains) and you're definitely in NorCal. I think I've seen you on the svchickens yahoo group (I'm "Laura in Los Gatos" there).

If you're looking for more chicks, keep in mind it's still winter time. In a few more months there will be LOTS of chicks available in the feed stores and people will be ordering spring chicks from the hatcheries. Lots of folks in the area are always looking for people to go in on hatchery orders to make the 25 chick minimum. Also Sarah in Menlo Park (are you here, sarah?) sells chicks and pullets on a regular basis, and amberlin (are you here, amberlin?) hatches chicks if you're looking for a specific harder to-find-breed.

In other words, if you're just a little patient, in a little while there will be lots of ways to get more chickens. I know its tough to be patient, I go completely berserk at this time of year with Chicken Fever.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Patience?!?!?! What is that!??!
lol.png
I know... it's better to be patient and do the right thing, but it's just so hard not to want them NOW! I think it's just the thought of starting over. At the same time, I'd like to raise the babies myself but also have them start laying sooner rather than later. I'm glad I found this forum though! It's nice to know people nearby doing the same thing.

What do you all do when you go out of town? We're leaving for a few days President's Day weekend, and I don't have a sitter. I could call the guy that took my rooster, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Quote:
Hi jenesis! Welcome! I live just up the road from you in Los Gatos (in the mountains) and you're definitely in NorCal. I think I've seen you on the svchickens yahoo group (I'm "Laura in Los Gatos" there).

If you're looking for more chicks, keep in mind it's still winter time. In a few more months there will be LOTS of chicks available in the feed stores and people will be ordering spring chicks from the hatcheries. Lots of folks in the area are always looking for people to go in on hatchery orders to make the 25 chick minimum. Also Sarah in Menlo Park (are you here, sarah?) sells chicks and pullets on a regular basis, and amberlin (are you here, amberlin?) hatches chicks if you're looking for a specific harder to-find-breed.

In other words, if you're just a little patient, in a little while there will be lots of ways to get more chickens. I know its tough to be patient, I go completely berserk at this time of year with Chicken Fever.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Are you guys going to the show? I live in Woodside, I am close to you guys too.

I'm not going... but, I am considering going up to Half Moon Bay to pick up some chicks. They have Barred Rocks and Buff Orps that are a week and a half, and then they have Speckled Sussex, White Leghorns and RIRs that are 3 days. I'm thinking of picking up some barred and buff orps and growing them out and keeping 2-3 and then selling/rehoming the rest.

If I end up with another roo I don't want to start all over again, so I'm thinking by getting more I'll have the number I want to stick with... which is like 100... no, but about 7-8. The buff orps and BR's are supposed to be friendly, docile and good layers, so I think that sounds good. The Speckled Sussex are supposed to be slow maturers and I don't want to wait that long for eggs - and I don't want leghorns or RIRs.

My husband is supposed to take my daughte to the movies this weekend... I might just have to go then and say the chicks magically appeared.
lol.png
He probably won't be happy about having to build another house for them for when it is time to start introducing them to the other girls.

Take pics of the show if you can! Would love to hear about it, too.

Quote:
I don't have Buff Orpingtons, but I will have gorgeous Blue, Black and Splash Orpington hatching eggs and chicks in a couple months.

IMG_4023.jpg

Very pretty bird you have there! My mom is going to get started with her flock some time soon so I am also trying to keep track of things for her, too. She lives in Santa Rosa.

Back
Top Bottom