California scrub jay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nattyice

Chirping
Apr 8, 2022
Hey people how is your day,
I need some help I received a gift from my friend and gave me a scrub jay he cannot survive in the wild anymore since it was small my friend found him fallen from a nest when he went camping?
What I am concern is that these a big birds and i can't figure out what they eat I've been giving him wild bird food but idk what else they enjoy eating what else is there that I'd good so he can enjoy more of his food i know these birds can eat small birds if they want too because he has already killed one canary that flew inside his cage and i can see why he did that unless he was very starving for some meat or just being territorial?

Any ideas of what they eat please help thanks

I don't want to take him to a wild rehabilitation center because I grew found of the bird and i don't want to give him up because he is happy with me

Please no negativity thank you 🥰

If he's wild I wouldn't keep him near your other birds. He could carry diseases to your other birds, or could kill another one.

Secondly, it is illegal to keep him. You have to have a special permit. Even though your are attached, his best bet is with a rehab. They will know how to properly care for him and make sure his needs are met.

If he's wild I wouldn't keep him near your other birds. He could carry diseases to your other birds, or could kill another one.

Secondly, it is illegal to keep him. You have to have a special permit. Even though your are attached, his best bet is with a rehab. They will know how to properly care for him and make sure his needs are met.
Thank you that would be the hardest to do but if its for the best for him i should trust the rehabilitation just I'm afraid if they don't take care and love him like i do i really care for him

this link goes direct to audubon. They usually have good info on wild birds. At a glance: summer = insects, small rodents, winter = nuts & berries

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/california-scrub-jay

Talk with the wild life people. There may be ways to feed the bird. There may also be laws about the bird. Worth checking on.
Thanks i know i can't keep him but i really care and love him when me and my friend found him as a baby but i can't simply let him free i have to give him to the rehab center to train it to be a wild bird .

From Cornell:

Omnivorous and opportunistic, the diet is predominately arthropods and fruit in spring and summer and seeds of masting trees, especially oaks and pines, in autumn and winter

Crickets or live meal worms from the pet store should work.

Thanks i know i can't keep him but i really care and love him when me and my friend found him as a baby but i can't simply let him free i have to give him to the rehab center to train it to be a wild bird .
Sometimes we have to love something enough to let it go. I recently started working at a rehab. They'll feed him and teach him how to take care of himself. A lot of places keep you up to date on the rehabilitation progress. If he can't return to the wild, they'll give him the best life they can as a permeant member of the rehab. This typically means he'll be an ambassador to tech other people about wildlife.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the taking, killing, capturing, transporting, harboring of the birds or hatching eggs, that which are Native to the United States of America, Europe and central Asia. All are protected by state and federal agencies.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

https://www.birdlife.org/europe-and-central-asia/policy/species-protection-and-hunting-birds

Any threads started on this subject will be closed.

Thank you for your understanding.

-BYC Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom