I own chickens but could use any advice on my 26 year old Quaker parrot

Cryllc82

Chirping
Mar 27, 2022
West Virginia
Hi there, I am a chicken owner of 5 hens, I lost one of my girls very quickly the end of last month but I'm here today because I'm a little desperate and never receive helpful advice on treatment of parrots on other forums. BYC has so many people not afraid to suggest a medicine or remedy. I realize my bird has become old but I want to try clearing him up. My quaker Sunny is 26 years old and has lived with me for 15 of those years. He is geriatric but is a hale and happy bird. Except for this last month. One of his nostrils has been infected and I have had him on Baytril for 10 days and now Doxycycline for about 5. His one nostril was drying up but is looking wet and runny again today. Any advice would be appreciated. The fluid that has come out of the nostril has varied from a bloody looking snot to a clear trickle. I have tried dripping VetRx in there. When he initially became sick he had a terrible eye infection almost overnight that cleared up within 2 days of tetracycline ointment applied to his eyes. He is still eating well and interacts. I don't have access to an avian vet where I live so he is stuck with me. Any help I will take under consideration 💚

Hi there, I am a chicken owner of 5 hens, I lost one of my girls very quickly the end of last month but I'm here today because I'm a little desperate and never receive helpful advice on treatment of parrots on other forums. BYC has so many people not afraid to suggest a medicine or remedy. I realize my bird has become old but I want to try clearing him up. My quaker Sunny is 26 years old and has lived with me for 15 of those years. He is geriatric but is a hale and happy bird. Except for this last month. One of his nostrils has been infected and I have had him on Baytril for 10 days and now Doxycycline for about 5. His one nostril was drying up but is looking wet and runny again today. Any advice would be appreciated. The fluid that has come out of the nostril has varied from a bloody looking snot to a clear trickle. I have tried dripping VetRx in there. When he initially became sick he had a terrible eye infection almost overnight that cleared up within 2 days of tetracycline ointment applied to his eyes. He is still eating well and interacts. I don't have access to an avian vet where I live so he is stuck with me. Any help I will take under consideration 💚
I have two macaw parrots. One I've had for her whole life of 20 years, and the other is a rescue so about 6-7 years.

I do not have an avian vet around here, so I thought. I called all of the vets within an hour for someone who could at least look at the rescued one as now I think he has a kidney disorder or something. I found two, and one, I never would have guessed. The one I knew of is an hour and a half drive, and what I was going to do until I started calling around and a couple of them suggested other ones. I do not know what to do your for your parrot, but please just try to find a vet as whilst we can treat them a bit like our chickens, they are not.

I'm sorry that sunny has been sick.
These are things i do for our pets, but please make sure they are parrot safe, since we don't have parrots.
I would give him probiotics to replenish the good bacteria after antibiotics. Natrual antibiotics like oregano, thyme, rosemary and colloidal silver can heal the infection. vetericyn spray from a feed supply store is excellent for eye infection, nose infection, wounds, etc.

This is a great link for parrot safe herbs:
https://www.allaboutparrots.com/what-herbs-can-parrots-eat/

I hope this helps!

For probiotics, I give mine some of our yogurt on a spoon, and they lick it off. Greek unsweetened is the best for them, but they won't eat that like chickens will, so I have to mix berry juice in it (with sugar) or just buy them the darned sweetened version.

For probiotics, I give mine some of our yogurt on a spoon, and they lick it off. Greek unsweetened is the best for them, but they won't eat that like chickens will, so I have to mix berry juice in it (with sugar) or just buy them the darned sweetened version.
Parrots can taste way more or appreciate it? Lol! I've been sprinkling bird probiotic on a piece of boiled egg white or moistened lettuce. Also some stuff called Thrive sick bird formula. It looks like vitamins basically. I'm spraying Vetirycin into his nose and also swabing the outside with some of his doxycycline water. He keeps going between very stringy clear snot I twirl out with q-tips to a bloody snot that dries overnight. I am getting him out as often as I can and that's quite a bit in-between before and after work. I was reading that a tetracycline based antibiotic would be ideal but I can't find any in stock online but will keep checking. I really appreciate you all!

Parrots can taste way more or appreciate it? Lol! I've been sprinkling bird probiotic on a piece of boiled egg white or moistened lettuce. Also some stuff called Thrive sick bird formula. It looks like vitamins basically. I'm spraying Vetirycin into his nose and also swabing the outside with some of his doxycycline water. He keeps going between very stringy clear snot I twirl out with q-tips to a bloody snot that dries overnight. I am getting him out as often as I can and that's quite a bit in-between before and after work. I was reading that a tetracycline based antibiotic would be ideal but I can't find any in stock online but will keep checking. I really appreciate you all!
These two have never been sick besides the one I think has a kidney issue, knock on wood, but sounds to me like you're doing everything possible to help. I didn't know about Thrive as they've never needed anything else but I'll remember that!

I bet your birds are a lot of fun 🧡 and thanks again ♥️
They sure can be entertaining, especially when they start their "Achoo" "God Bless you" routine or a couple other ones.

If you can't get ahold of an antibiotic, check out Aqua Mox which is amoxicillin for fish tanks. You'd have to research how much you'd give a parrot as you'd put, for example, 1 -100mg pill in a 20-gallon fish tank.

@Cryllc82 How is your bird?
He is still not completely better. Still having nasal discharge on one side that is thick and clear but runny at times but the quantity has reduced at least. His appetite is good so I keep on with remedies. I'm putting terramycin ointment on his eyes once a day and around the bad nostril because if I don't his eyes start getting goopy too and his vision is reduced. They clear almost immediately when I use it. I can't get hold of the oral form of terramycin but had him on doxycycline for 14 days and just stopped yesterday and going to see how he does. Thank you for asking about Sunny.

Attachments

• 20231006_184702.jpg
    20231006_184702.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom