Conure love/hates boyfriend?

itsronni

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2022
Illinois
Hello everyone! Wanted to see if any of you have any tips for my wacky bird, who is OBSESSED with my boyfriend... for good and bad!

A little background on Beepers, the green cheek conure: he's a three year old (estimated age and gender) rescue. I am his primary caretaker. Previously, he was surrendered for his one-person habits towards his old family's young adult son, so his infatuation with my boyfriend was anticipated. Except, it's not really going as planned, as birds tend to do! Before I begin: Beepers will not be going anywhere. I love him, my boyfriend loves him, and we have committed to working with him. This will not change, regardless of behavioral issues.

So, here's the big issue. We're not sure if he loves my boyfriend or hates him! He bites his arms relentlessly, and now it looks like somebody's been putting cigarettes out on his arms! This happens if I'm in the room or not, although there have been three times where my boyfriend has gotten too close to me and gotten bit. Although, it happens the most when I'm not home. Which is weird, since I thought at first he was jealous, but he's actually much nicer when I'm around! My boyfriend has told me Beepers has actually growled at him, then began biting him relentlessly... I've never even heard him growl before! I can get close to my boyfriend no problem, and Beepers even wants me to pet him while on my boyfriend's shoulder occasionally. My boyfriend has no such freedoms, however, and will be bit.

At his previous home, Beepers was said to bite everyone except the son. This is the opposite for us. Beepers will never bite me or my future MIL who lives with us, and loves to cuddle with us. His favorite spot is to be cupped underneath our hand, and he'll take naps on me like this frequently. Most of the time, he does prefer me over my FMIL, as I work the most with him, but he does love her, and will go hang out with her sometimes. My boyfriend, however, is not allowed to touch him. That's an immediate bite. That being said, Beepers will NOT get off my boyfriend's shoulder most of the time... He's the only one he wants to be on 90% of the time, which is why we're so confused! He'll fly to him, dance for him to come pick him up, but then suddenly, bam, my boyfriend's arm is getting ripped into. After this, Beepers will usually want to be on me, as if he's mad at my boyfriend.

For discipline, we put him back in his cage. I know, I know, not ideal... but Beeps will not sit on a perch, he's very much a Velcro bird, and wants to be on a shoulder all the time. He used to like his window perch, but he gradually used it less and less, instead finding his amusement from us, lol! I thought that maybe we had trained him to bite my boyfriend to go back in his cage, which is still a possibility I'm mulling over.

So what the heck, Beeps?? Do you love us, hate us, what??? I know it's time for The Great Change here, being close to February, and this will be our very first time with a hormonal parrot! It feels good to vent about it in a place where people understand... people think I'm crazy for putting so much energy into this little parrot, but we love him so much, and I just want my boys to be happy together! If anyone has any advice for us, they would be much appreciated!!

I once had a Cockatiel named Peep, having brought him home at 10 weeks old. He had similar issues with my husband. He would insist on sitting on his shoulder all the time, but the bird bit him relentlessly. Peep would never sit on my shoulder but he never bit me. Go figure! I believe that my bird was biting out of being nervous. Of course I worked with him, the step up command, trained him not to bite your finger if he was being held, he spent lots of time outside his cage in a play area, but I still think he just had trust issues. We never did fix this issue with Peep, eventually my hubby stopped letting him sit on his shoulders and did his best to avoid being bitten. Peep lived to be 18 yrs, I gave him the best life I could. Birds are complicated, and I do believe they have likes and dislikes in humans. But they are very susceptible to being fearful and frightened.

Good luck with Beepers!

@TwoCrows They are funny little things aren’t they? :)
I ended up posting to AvianAvenue, they said it sounds like Beeps is bonded to me, and to a lesser degree my FMIL. His shoulder privileges are revoked until he can be nice, and we have some new training to do. :D

I ended up posting to AvianAvenue, they said it sounds like Beeps is bonded to me, and to a lesser degree my FMIL. His shoulder privileges are revoked until he can be nice, and we have some new training to do. :D
I figured this is what Beep was doing, bonding to you over your boyfriend. My Peep seemed to be the same way. Parrots like to pair off, generally they do cling to one person and shun others.

Definitely work with Beep and have your boyfriend work with him as well. Hopefully you can get some harmony in the family soon! :)

Just a thought, but birds can remember people quite well and it is not uncommon for animals to associate people who look similar to those they have had a history with. I am wondering if your conure is associating your boyfriend with his previous owner, but is feeling abandoned. So your conure wants to be back with his best friend, but also feels upset about his previous male owner leaving and lashes out. According to many avian rescues and resources online parrots feel abandonment in a very similar way that we do.

I don't have parrots, but have been doing a lot of research on them. I follow someone on Instagram who does a lot of rescue and rehabilitation of parrots. She actually just did a video on this topic and why parrots bite. I can send you the link if you want. She is very knowledgeable.

AA is one of the best places for advice about parrots, IMO :)

Back
Top Bottom