Male Turkey Attacks My Son But He is Fine With Me

KaylaH0521

Hatching
Jan 21, 2024
I hand raised both of my turkeys (one is a Hen and The Other a Tom) My hen is seeet as could be. Sits with you follows my son around etc. My Tom did as well. But recently my Tom has been extremely aggressive towards my son. My son has never did anything to him to make him aggressive towards him (my son is 2) He used to let me son pick him and hug him and kiss him. But now he hates him. He is fine with me and my Boyfriend. Even the dogs. I want to keep him. But I also don’t want my son petrified to go in his own backyard because of the turkey. What should I do?

uncle-buck-ub.gif
You have an aggressive animal posing a serious threat to your child.
Get rid of him or eat him before he injuries your child.

I hand raised both of my turkeys (one is a Hen and The Other a Tom) My hen is seeet as could be. Sits with you follows my son around etc. My Tom did as well. But recently my Tom has been extremely aggressive towards my son. My son has never did anything to him to make him aggressive towards him (my son is 2) He used to let me son pick him and hug him and kiss him. But now he hates him. He is fine with me and my Boyfriend. Even the dogs. I want to keep him. But I also don’t want my son petrified to go in his own backyard because of the turkey. What should I do?
I had the same issue with the turkey. We still have him because we love him very much, but it is because of the breeding season. They calm down after a while and the heat of the breeding season is over. If you don’t want to get rid of him, I’ve learned to take an umbrella. Keep it closed, but if he goes towards your son, open it, or have him open it. It will catch the turkey by surprise, and he won’t go near your son whenever he has the umbrella on him. Larger umbrellas with bright colors work the best. Hope this work for you, and your son is safe!

View attachment 3761419
You have an aggressive animal posing a serious threat to your child.
Get rid of him or eat him before he injuries your child.
:goodpost::yuckyuck

I just had to laugh at your meme.
John Candy (RIP)... Looks like from the movie... 'The Great Outdoors'
Everytime I think of that movie I chuckle at the speed boat named 'suck my wake'... 🤣

Sorry for the thread derail... Carry on.

I hand raised both of my turkeys (one is a Hen and The Other a Tom) My hen is sweet as could be. Sits with you follows my son around etc. My Tom did as well. But recently my Tom has been extremely aggressive towards my son. My son has never did anything to him to make him aggressive towards him (my son is 2) He used to let me son pick him and hug him and kiss him. But now he hates him. He is fine with me and my Boyfriend. Even the dogs. I want to keep him. But I also don’t want my son petrified to go in his own backyard because of the turkey. What should I do?
This is what happens when you imprint turkey poults. Your turkeys cannot understand that there is a difference between turkeys and people.

Your tom will never be able to be trusted around children. It is also just a matter of time before he starts attacking the boyfriend and trying to mate with you

The only positive cure is to invite him to dinner as the guest of honor.

I had the same issue with the turkey. We still have him because we love him very much, but it is because of the breeding season. They calm down after a while and the heat of the breeding season is over. If you don’t want to get rid of him, I’ve learned to take an umbrella. Keep it closed, but if he goes towards your son, open it, or have him open it. It will catch the turkey by surprise, and he won’t go near your son whenever he has the umbrella on him. Larger umbrellas with bright colors work the best. Hope this work for you, and your son is safe!
It's not just because it is breeding season. It will continue as a function of wanting to be at the top of the pecking order.

The umbrella trick will only works as long as you are facing the turkey. He will eventually start surprise attacks from behind. Someone is going to get hurt.

It's not just because it is breeding season. It will continue as a function of wanting to be at the top of the pecking order.

The umbrella trick will only works as long as you are facing the turkey. He will eventually start surprise attacks from behind. Someone is going to get hurt.
It’s working for me currently, but I only go in there with someone else, my sister, so he really can’t sneak up on me. I’m not sure about your son, but you make a good point @R2elk

I really appreciate this advice, but the kiddo is 2 years old per the OP
And mom can’t be hyper viligent while also trying to do chores :/
The toddler is not going to have the reflexes to properly protect himself at that age.
The turkey needs to go to freezer camp IMHO
I -love- our turkeys.
But not more than I love my kids, and also not more than I want my kids to love our critters (and not be terrified of them),
and,
not more than I want to avoid an ER visit if one of my birds thinks it’s “above” anyone in my household.
The first (actual) attack is the last here.
.....which is not the same as curious pecking, or bumping against you or your kiddo.
But if it was actually flying at/ trying to spur/ anything else in that “category”.
Sorry you like him.
If you can’t bear to send him to freezer camp, someone on CL or ND will be very pleased for an Easter turkey.
It won’t get better, or easier, if you put it off.
So sorry :hugs

I’ve leaned into @R2elk ’s advice -
When starting poults, do your utmost to let them imprint onto each other, and NOT onto the people in their world.

That way, they don’t try to figure out where the “people” fit into their dominance hierarchy.
They will still be very manageable for a confident handler as adults, and, honestly (in my experience) even easier to handle/ manage when they are left to just be poults and w their poult buddies as lil dudes.

Of course they know I bring food and water, and I also clip a wing frequently when they are small enough to be adept fliers. I also move them between a safe brooder and a grow out tractor when appropriate.
But I don’t hang out w them more than necessary, or try to make “friends” w them. As much as I love them- they are much better companions as adults if they don’t see you as part of the flock 😉

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom