Agressive Tom Turkey - What Should I Do?

Liza728w

Songster
Jul 22, 2020
Southern Ohio
We have a pair of black Spanish turkeys. The boy has decided he wants to mate with humans.... biting, trying to mount our legs, etc. He's big too.

This turned into just pure aggression. He attacks me every time I go outside now. If I grab him and push him away from me, as soon as I let go he flies at me and won't give it up. He circles me non-stop waiting to attack. I do not want to seriously hurt him, but if he bites my face while I'm sitting in the lawn chairs.... I don't want to loose an eye. I've tried spraying with water, a fly swatter, pushing him away, smacks on the head, etc. It does not work in fact it just riles him up more. It's hard to gentle parent a heavy turkey who is out for your blood. I can't go outside my home without having him coming right at me constantly and turkey bites draw blood.

Any ideas for correcting this behavior? I do not want to hurt him but I need to be able to enjoy the outdoors. As a last resort I might have to keep him penned up somewhere which is what I'm leaning toward. It's super annoying but I understand it's just hormones.

Why do you think he is doing that? Is he trying to protect something or someone? Maybe the girl? Maybe he feels threatened? Often Figuring out the cause can help solve the problem.

Also make sure you are not showing fear. He can sense when you are afraid and will do it even more. Like don't back away or anything, Try using something like a box lid or something and blocking him, It may discourage his attacks?

We have a pair of black Spanish turkeys. The boy has decided he wants to mate with humans.... biting, trying to mount our legs, etc. He's big too.

This turned into just pure aggression. He attacks me every time I go outside now. If I grab him and push him away from me, as soon as I let go he flies at me and won't give it up. He circles me non-stop waiting to attack. I do not want to seriously hurt him, but if he bites my face while I'm sitting in the lawn chairs.... I don't want to loose an eye. I've tried spraying with water, a fly swatter, pushing him away, smacks on the head, etc. It does not work in fact it just riles him up more. It's hard to gentle parent a heavy turkey who is out for your blood. I can't go outside my home without having him coming right at me constantly and turkey bites draw blood.

Any ideas for correcting this behavior? I do not want to hurt him but I need to be able to enjoy the outdoors. As a last resort I might have to keep him penned up somewhere which is what I'm leaning toward. It's super annoying but I understand it's just hormones.
You have a people imprinted tom. He cannot understand that there is a difference between people and turkeys.

Inviting him as the guest of honor to dinner is the only guaranteed way to cure him.

He is definitely not safe around children.

Never hit him. He only understands that as aggression on your part and will attack.

A broom can help. Use the sweeping end of the broom to push him away. Never swing the broom at him. Never hit him with it. Watch out for attacks from behind. Always have the broom with you.

Typical from turkeys that have imprinted on people.

I had 4 jakes I went through doing everything recommended as far as showing dominance. Feeding high protein worked the best so long as that was the only food. As soon as the mulberry or grass seed ripen the dominant would attack me. I ended up processing them all. I started over with ones not imprinted on people.
FYI it ends badly for chickens if they are imprinted on them.

Sounds like a human imprinted tom, he doesn't know the difference between you and a turkey. And is breeding season and he is running off any competition it's called pecking order, and he is assuring his dominance and keeping you away from his hen. Locking him up will keep him from getting you in your yard but will not stop behavior. Processing would be my suggestion before someone gets injured, as I don't believe you will change this behavior. If imprinted the damage is already done, he will get less aggressive after breeding season ends but will still have issues being aggressive. Sorry to hear you have this problem turkey poults are very easy to imprint on humans with too much human interaction as poults.

Sounds like a human imprinted tom, he doesn't know the difference between you and a turkey. And is breeding season and he is running off any competition it's called pecking order, and he is assuring his dominance and keeping you away from his hen. Locking him up will keep him from getting you in your yard but will not stop behavior. Processing would be my suggestion before someone gets injured, as I don't believe you will change this behavior. If imprinted the damage is already done, he will get less aggressive after breeding season ends but will still have issues being aggressive. Sorry to hear you have this problem turkey poults are very easy to imprint on humans with too much human interaction as poults.
Wow! I never knew this was an issue for Turkeys. I had a bantam rooster imprinted on me and he'd try to mate with my arm (lol) but it wasn't serious as he only weighed 1 pound. I could easily grab him and set him back down.

Looks like he will need to be dinner or penned up. I'd love to eat him 😂 but he belongs to a family member. I'll have a chat about not letting him free range anymore. It's too much! He tries to attack my horse too which is insane. She's like 900 pounds and he'll go up to her just to peck her feet whenever he's in the area. What a nasty dude. I'll figure out an action plan with it's owner.

Back
Top Bottom