Daddy Benjamin

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2022
Bought a domestic white turkey. He is like a dog! Follows me everywhere. Always wants attention. Yesterday, I knelt down and he crawled under me and wanted me to pet him. He seems to like being touched. This brings my question. HE STINKS! Am I missing something! I am thinking I need to get a roost going for this bird. With pine shavings for him to wallow in. Still love him, but, Do domestic turkey normally have a strong smell, or am I not giving it something it needs for turkey hygiene?

Bought a domestic white turkey. He is like a dog! Follows me everywhere. Always wants attention. Yesterday, I knelt down and he crawled under me and wanted me to pet him. He seems to like being touched. This brings my question. HE STINKS! Am I missing something! I am thinking I need to get a roost going for this bird. With pine shavings for him to wallow in. Still love him, but, Do domestic turkey normally have a strong smell, or am I not giving it something it needs for turkey hygiene?
Post pictures.

It is not normal for turkeys to stink. It has to be a result of the conditions it was raised in.

What age is the turkey? The crawling under you and laying down sounds like this is a hen assuming the breeding position unless it is a young poult showing the behavior of crawling under the hen for warmth.

Turkeys are very social and should not be raised and kept alone.

You can do a search to find out how to give the turkey a bath. Look for bathing chickens. It will be the same procedure.

As for the roost, it will depend on whether this is a broad breasted variety or a heritage variety. For broad breasted a bale of hay or straw will be sufficiently high for a roost. A heritage variety will use taller roosts.

Post pictures.

It is not normal for turkeys to stink. It has to be a result of the conditions it was raised in.

What age is the turkey? The crawling under you and laying down sounds like this is a hen assuming the breeding position unless it is a young poult showing the behavior of crawling under the hen for warmth.

Turkeys are very social and should not be raised and kept alone.

You can do a search to find out how to give the turkey a bath. Look for bathing chickens. It will be the same procedure.

As for the roost, it will depend on whether this is a broad breasted variety or a heritage variety. For broad breasted a bale of hay or straw will be sufficiently high for a roost. A heritage variety will use taller roosts.
About three to four months old

Back
Top Bottom