Call Duck Eggs: Artifical Versus Natural Incubation

The thing with dry hatching is that it is a very relative thing. It might work in some places and be a disaster in others. When I lived in Texas, our humidity was high enough with minimal water (and some types of birds no water) in the incubator. Some people even use dehumidifiers in their hatch rooms.

Here in Colorado though, it is difficult to even *get* enough humidity in the incubator. It is just the influence of the humidity in the external environment. In most places, humidity requirements are relatively similar, regardless of how much water needs to be in the incubator to achieve that. It is just how those humidity levels are maintained that may be different. Disclaimer though- There are other situations where the humidity requirements may indeed be more different, like at high altitudes because that does impact the things I mentioned earlier- porosity and gas exchange, both of which are impacted by humidity.

On the issue of knowing what the correct humidity levels are, the two almost sure fire ways of finding that are weighing the eggs and monitoring air cell size. I do this several times throughout incubation weighing the eggs with a gram scale. I have found consistently that here in my environment 55%-65% for the first 25 days and then up to 85% for hatch is what works.

Quote:
I agree. It is relative. Some people rave about their success with "dry incubation" and other have better success with higher humidity.

I guess if someone wanted to get technical, they could go put a hygrometer under a hen and take humidity reading that way to get a better idea of ideal.

And of course, you are right... monitoring weight and egg cell size is the best method of making sure eggs are developing correctly.

Right now I'm running at about 50% humidity, the temp is steady at 99.5-99.6, and the eggs are turned horizontally. I'll candle this weekend. We'll see what kind of results I get with that.

Last edited:
That is probably a great level for you. I am in high elevation and I use really just slightly higher, 55%-65%. As I think I mentioned once before, I wash the eggs too which results in a need for slightly higher humidity. When I do unwashed eggs, closer to 55% generally is good. 50% is probably a fairly good range for a lot of areas. What are you going to raise it to for hatch?

Quote:
I'm glad to hear another call duck egg success story with artificial incubation. I tend to think that some people try to help to soon as well. Once again, I think the eggs on their side position (like your Top Hatch incubator) increases hatch success with duck eggs. Its also interesting to hear about your success with the dry incubation method. I think you were wise to go that route. I've read that too much humidity is more often the cause of poor hatch rates than too little humidity. The egg must decrease in humidity during the incubation process... and too much humidity can interfere with this.

My white call hen the one in my Avatar hatched 7 out of 8 eggs last August and Is laying right now.
I observed how she moved her eggs around she would tuck some under her wings and body then push the others out to the sides out from under her.
I assumed she was letting them cool and then after a time she would roll out the ones under her and pull in the ones on the outside.
She came out and Bathed everyday and would sit and groom for a little while before returning to her nest.

You're fortunate that your white hen went and stayed broody. I've read that white calls are the worst about sitting on eggs, but that greys are the best. On the other hand, I've also read that call hens with pigmentation in their beaks (like yours) tend to be better broodies. To this day, one of my favorite photos of call ducks is that one of yours with the white hen and duckling sleeping her wing.

My first eggs of this year were infertile I think it was due to them not having swimming water (It kept freezing)
But all are laying now and I'm sure my white call will be setting again, I'm going to see if my Greys will set their own eggs if not I will incubate them.
Since the dry incubation worked so well I think I will try that again if I have to incubate them.

You're probably right about the infertile eggs... its related to the lack of unfrozen water (i.e. no matings were taking place). Are your greys and whites kept separate?​

That could be why my fertility has been so high...I think out of the batch of 37 eggs that I have in on the middle tray right now, hatcher bound next week I believe, 29 candled in as fertile. But their water was changed about three times a day all winter and always had hot water added...very seldom any ice, even outside...so they've had a duckuzzi to go into.
smile.png

Quote:
This weekend's group, I had to back the humidity down to about 50% for...my air cells are looking much better than they were. Look much more textbook now than any hatch I have had, even on the chicks.

Quote:
I'm glad to hear another call duck egg success story with artificial incubation. I tend to think that some people try to help to soon as well. Once again, I think the eggs on their side position (like your Top Hatch incubator) increases hatch success with duck eggs. Its also interesting to hear about your success with the dry incubation method. I think you were wise to go that route. I've read that too much humidity is more often the cause of poor hatch rates than too little humidity. The egg must decrease in humidity during the incubation process... and too much humidity can interfere with this.

My white call hen the one in my Avatar hatched 7 out of 8 eggs last August and Is laying right now.
I observed how she moved her eggs around she would tuck some under her wings and body then push the others out to the sides out from under her.
I assumed she was letting them cool and then after a time she would roll out the ones under her and pull in the ones on the outside.
She came out and Bathed everyday and would sit and groom for a little while before returning to her nest.

You're fortunate that your white hen went and stayed broody. I've read that white calls are the worst about sitting on eggs, but that greys are the best. On the other hand, I've also read that call hens with pigmentation in their beaks (like yours) tend to be better broodies. To this day, one of my favorite photos of call ducks is that one of yours with the white hen and duckling sleeping her wing.

My first eggs of this year were infertile I think it was due to them not having swimming water (It kept freezing)
But all are laying now and I'm sure my white call will be setting again, I'm going to see if my Greys will set their own eggs if not I will incubate them.
Since the dry incubation worked so well I think I will try that again if I have to incubate them.

You're probably right about the infertile eggs... its related to the lack of unfrozen water (i.e. no matings were taking place). Are your greys and whites kept separate?​

Thanks for the compliment on my photo of my call hen and her Baby, I hope to get more when she hatches again
My Calls are all separated into pairs my Grey call drakes seem to hate each other they will fight if I place those 2 pairs together.
Funny thing about that is they are all from the same group of ducklings I bought last summer, But when they became sexually mature the fight was on.

I just bought a really nice bibbed Hen and I'm on the lookout for her a mate
DSCF4790.jpg

Quote:
This weekend's group, I had to back the humidity down to about 50% for...my air cells are looking much better than they were. Look much more textbook now than any hatch I have had, even on the chicks.

Do you mean eggs you just set this weekend? If so, you can tell something about air cells that early (with regard to humidity)? Wow, if that is the case you are doing better than me. I can't tell hardly anything about how the eggs are developing (air cell wise) until they are at least 7-14 days in. I weigh the eggs when they are set, check for fertility usually day 5 or 6 and then take the second weight at one week. It is totally unnecessary to check fertility when I do, but to this day, I still get antsy, LOL. I weigh again in weekly increments, but I don't start making small adjustments in humidity really until at least 14 days in. I can tell very little about air cells as early as a week, other than the obvious issues that have nothing to do with humidity.

Hey- aren't you the one that was helping the guy that sells used incubators? How are you liking those Humidaires? I would *love* to get one and am in the market to buy a new incubator, but I am restricted by the fact that I can't speak so it is very difficult to talk on the phone and the guy doesn't take emails. I am still trying to get my hubby to call him. We just haven't taken the time to set down and do it. Do you know how much he sells like the 20's and 21's for?

Alright, I candled the eggs this evening and all 9 nine eggs are developing as expected! I've taken a few photos of the developing eggs and have decided to chronicle the incubation process here.

Quote:

Do you mean eggs you just set this weekend? If so, you can tell something about air cells that early (with regard to humidity)? Wow, if that is the case you are doing better than me. I can't tell hardly anything about how the eggs are developing (air cell wise) until they are at least 7-14 days in. I weigh the eggs when they are set, check for fertility usually day 5 or 6 and then take the second weight at one week. It is totally unnecessary to check fertility when I do, but to this day, I still get antsy, LOL. I weigh again in weekly increments, but I don't start making small adjustments in humidity really until at least 14 days in. I can tell very little about air cells as early as a week, other than the obvious issues that have nothing to do with humidity.

Hey- aren't you the one that was helping the guy that sells used incubators? How are you liking those Humidaires? I would *love* to get one and am in the market to buy a new incubator, but I am restricted by the fact that I can't speak so it is very difficult to talk on the phone and the guy doesn't take emails. I am still trying to get my hubby to call him. We just haven't taken the time to set down and do it. Do you know how much he sells like the 20's and 21's for?

Actually, I meant the eggs that are due to hatch this weekend.
smile.png
No, I'm not *that* good that I can tell about air cells on eggs that were just laid.
wink.png
I'd be quite the guru if I could! I'm judging my air cells following the chart in "Guide To Better Hatching" and a few other egg resources I found online. I don't have a scale for the eggs, so I'm following the development pattern as shown in those charts.

Yep, I'm the one trying to help Don out here and there. So far I am liking the Humidaire hatcher; the model 50 drum model I just fired up again after having it off for about two weeks. Jury is still out on that one. The two ducklings I have now were in that bator on the autoturner; I've been using the GQF upstairs here since I started these three groups of eggs with hand turning. I'm trying a few new things here with these groups, and I suspect, though I have not just yet confirmed it for sure, that that drum model may have a spot in it that runs a bit cooler than I'd like. It may wind up being pressed back into service, however, because I suspect the GQF, which has never been serviced in the 15 years it has been running, is coming due for a new electronic thermostat and if it starts getting too erratic, I may have to have a moving day for the eggs into the drum.

Getting back to Don, however, you can try emailing him again...he might be a bit better at it now, I've had a few over-the-phone coaching sessions with him about how to work the email and he has actually replied to me on here a few times now. Go to http://sunnycreekfarms.zxq.net and go to the Contact Us page for the email address. To add to the problem, his email was acting up before and so that didn't help his lack of understanding on how to work it at all! Things might work better now though, and if not, have your hubby give him a call...I do believe he has some 20s and 21s in stock but not sure for how much.

I thought I was remembering that was you! We will just call him someday when we have time to set down at the same time and do it. I had emailed him before and he responded with "please call" and his phone number, so I thought it was an auto reply or he was not comfortable working with email yet. We are trying to teach my MIL how to use email so I understand completely!

That's awesome about your GQF that it has lasted that long. That would not be a bad choice for me as well since it is about the size I want. I would just love to get one of the redwood incubaters though. I am kicking myself that I didn't get a couple of new ones when that was still possible.

Back
Top Bottom