Call Duck Eggs: Artifical Versus Natural Incubation

That's a Leahy. They are pretty popular as far as the old redwood incubators go. Several BYC'ers have them. That price for that condition is not that great. I have seen them for as little as under $200 or as much as $600 depending on the condition. There have been some on Ebay lately in the higher price range in surprisingly pristine condition considering their age.

I don't think the condition is bad at all. If it has been sitting in a garage somewhere just needs cleaned up. Just check the trays make sure you have them all, see if it holds a temp, and make sure it has the original water pan in the bottom.....if you use something else it can affect the air flow and the temps can be off. I would offer them $300 and see if they will take it.

I am setting 18 shipped call duck eggs in the am in an LG with fan and auto turner. I am hoping to get a trio out of the batch. Good luck with your hatch!!!

Quote:
Good for you, glad to hear it!
big_smile.png

After day 20 seems to be the "danger zone", at least that is what I have seen...

Quote:
big_smile.png

After day 20 seems to be the "danger zone", at least that is what I have seen...

How are your batches doing right now?

Quote:
big_smile.png

So far so good...24 eggs on the bottom shelf, 21 eggs on the middle shelf of the GQF and the bottom is due to start pipping this weekend...at this time, all 45 embryos are viable, though there are a few that are seeming a bit sluggish on the bottom under the candler and I anticipate a few may quit on me before hatching time. So we'll see. The ones I set several days ago in the Humidaire downstairs, some 32 of them, are too early to candle just yet. And I should have 10+ for the next setting...not sure what's going on with my ducks, they seem a bit off since I separated them out into their individual groups. I suspect my whites are considering molting with the warm weather we have had here, in the 70s. Most eggs I've had in a day since then is 4 out of the 8 hens.

Quote:

So far so good...24 eggs on the bottom shelf, 21 eggs on the middle shelf of the GQF and the bottom is due to start pipping this weekend...at this time, all 45 embryos are viable, though there are a few that are seeming a bit sluggish on the bottom under the candler and I anticipate a few may quit on me before hatching time. So we'll see. The ones I set several days ago in the Humidaire downstairs, some 32 of them, are too early to candle just yet. And I should have 10+ for the next setting...not sure what's going on with my ducks, they seem a bit off since I separated them out into their individual groups. I suspect my whites are considering molting with the warm weather we have had here, in the 70s. Most eggs I've had in a day since then is 4 out of the 8 hens.

Where did yours originate from? Any particular line?

Molting? This time of year? Thats strange?

Back
Top Bottom