Call Duck Eggs: Artifical Versus Natural Incubation

congrats Scott
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes, they are fine. I can't even tell one of them from the rest. The other one is smaller, but just as active as the rest. I took some photos last night... I'll try to post them tonight.

Quote:
Congratulations! and Thanks this has been a wonderful learning experience much has been learned from your successful hatch.
I now know how I will hatch mine if I decide to put them in the incu right now I'm working on setting them naturally.

I wanted to share something I tried and worked with my Grey Call Hen she refused to lay in her wooden nest box. I added straw and she took it out and laid her egg on the wire so I tried leaves and she did the same.
Before I sold my white calls they were on the ground and the hen made her a nest on the ground she neatly dug a little hole and lined it with leaves and feathers.
Me being a curious person thought wonder if I put dirt in the grey hens nest box would she use it, I took a big scoop and put it in her box with a few leaves.
The very next morning she had a hole in the dirt covered in leaves and there was egg!! She has lain 4 eggs now in her little dirt nest and I'm just in awe at the fact it worked.

Oh so cute! My 2 female calls have started laying and I have been worried since they haven't sat on them yet. I totally forgot that I can just stick them under one of my cochins. The two females have been laying the past 4 or 5 days and have 6 eggs. Is that a good number to stick under the cochin, or should I wait for more? They have also been in the nestbox without being sat on at night when it has gotten down into the 40s, should they be alright or should I get rid of those and wait for more and then take them inside as they are laid?

29943_call_duck_eggs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom