Call Duck Genetics

Borncountry419

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Rockford, MN (near minneapolis
So I know the basics in genetics (mostly chicken genetics, which aren't always the same for ducks), and I don't understand the Call Duck color calculator. Lol. So I was wondering about a few crosses... What would the offspring look like?

A- Snowy drake on white hen (more white snowy?).
B- Snowy drake on blue fawn hen.
D- Blue drake on white hen (white and blue, splash, or black?).
E- Buff drake on white hen (white & buff?).
F- Buff drake on grey hen.

Thanks!!
smile.png

Last edited:
I had come across that before, but for some reason the images don't work. I think the diagrams would be helpful for me in understanding it better. If only I paid more attention in science classes during high school! I always figured I'd never need it. Lol. Def will be taking genetics classes when I start school.

I don't know if it will work or not, but before the pictures wouldn't work i downloaded it onto my desktop as a pdf, i could try and email it to you if you would like.

Quote:
I'll try to help a bit - it all depends on whether your colors are all "pure" or if they're carrying recessive genes that you don't know about!

A - Snowy Drake on White Hen - this is probably going to produce Mallard-colored or Black bibbed ducklings. It all depends on the White hen - white is caused by a double dose of a gene that basically "masks" all other colors - she's carrying the genetics for other colors "underneath" the white. Typically, when I've done crosses with White Calls I've found that a lot of them are Black or Blue Bibbed "underneath" the white. Some are wild-type Grey. She could be carrying literally ANY color under there though, so you'll never know until you breed her. Also, all of the offspring of a White parent will get one copy of the recessive White gene - if you breed the F1 males back to their White mother, you'll get 50% White ducklings, if you breed the F1 osspring together, you'll get about 25% White ducklings. The light phase gene from the Snowy drake will also pop back up in subsequent generations, so a small percentage of the F2 offspring could be snowy.

B - Snowy Drake on Blue Fawn Hen - Theoretically, this will produce Blue Fawn and Grey ducklings.

C - Blue Drake on White Hen - This is probably going to give you Blue and Black Bibbed babies. Again, it depends on what genes the White hen is carrying though. If she has a copy of the Blue gene, you could get some Splash babies too. And again, they'll be carrying a recessive White gene that will pop up in subsequent generations.

D - Buff Drake on White Hen - You'll most likely get variants of Buff, Grey, or Blue/Black/Splash Bibbed, Chocolate Bibbed, Lilac Bibbed...this one could be interesting, depending on the color dilution genes that the White hen is carrying. There's a lot at play in this one. Depends on what the White hens genetics are.

E - Buff Drake on Grey Hen - Variations of diluted Grey - Blue Fawn, Chocolate Mallard, Buff or Lilac Mallard

Again, none of that is 100%, because there are WAY too many recessive genes that could be lurking in there to take into account!
smile.png

Have you tried the Eend calculator? if you google it, it should come up! I also purchased the book made by Call Ducks of America called Ducks. I just got it and it was only 7 dollors with shipping included off of thier website.

Wow! Very interesting! Not sure if I should play around too much, considering I'm pretty new to calls, but it all sounds like so much fun. My calls have begun to lay, and it has gotten me so excited that I'm starting to go overboard with all sorts of ideas. Thanks so much for all the great information!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom