Call duck thread! For posting pics and discussing!

If u candlelit them last night and u can see light through the whole egg then they are no good. If she has been on them for the 28 days u should not see light threw the egg. It will be darkened out with the duckling. I'm pretty sure it takes 28 days to hatch. I never had any but with everything I looked up said 28 days! Good luck and hope this helps ya!

I have a question for you experienced Call Duck Breeders. I had 4 Pure Bred Gray Calls hatch out on April 13th and they feathered out nicely and were 4 beautiful girls, getting their little blue white strips at about 2 months. This past week they have been molting this past week and now at least 2 maybe 3 of these girls are getting Green heads and Gray feathers on their backs. No tell-tell signs of curled hind feathers like their father, however definately not looking like girls any longer. Is this normal? Do males look like females until the first molt? Our male molted after breeding season and now looks more feminine with a more female look, but still has the green tint and curled hind feathers, although not bold and beautiful like he was last fall and spring.

Girls in June after Feathered out and Stripes showed

Same "Girls" in July 3 of them getting green color on their heads and gray on their bodies, pictured with their parents (Drake and 3 hens) Right side of photo

Last edited:
1478925_792122287481710_926136353_n.jpg
579284_792122927481646_1116979155_n.jpg
536218_792122760814996_475475810_n.jpg
1450909_792122747481664_1087184880_n.jpg
1452371_792122290815043_786254988_n.jpg

Here is Freddy and Daphne (kinda like scooby doo) lol
I love these call ducks. I enjoy listening them all day :) They are
Here the video.
0.jpg

Awww..... They're super cute. I'm a newbie to the duck world and already fallen in love with these call duck. Are they feisty? They look like they like to nib a lot. And how much eggs do the hen give? I'm thinking about getting some ducks in the Spring Pekin and WH were recommended since I mainly wanted them for eggs.

If anyone in Maine or really near Maine is selling a female call, please let me know. Our little boy Squirt is getting lonely and beating up our crested Hamish because all of the females follow Hamish around. Thanks.

Girls in June after Feathered out and Stripes showed

Same "Girls" in July 3 of them getting green color on their heads and gray on their bodies, pictured with their parents (Drake and 3 hens) Right side of photo
yes, immature males look similar as females. I am not an expert but I do know a bit on grey colouring and markings

sometimes depending on your ducks you can tell by head colour. your females seem to have very dark caps though so this is a bit iffy with yours.
do you see that dark cap on their heads and dark stripe down back of neck? that means immature male. females will usually be completely brown/black laced with light brown/black cap, and sometimes thinner stripe down back of neck.

also the tail feathers, and I can see this in your young males!
females will have light brown or laced feathers on the tail and outer(rim) tail feathers. males, will have dark brown or black tail feathers with distinct pure white rimmed outer tail feathers. in pictures 2 and 3 especially you can see that white rim on the outer tial feathers coming in, mainly on the sides of the tails, and the inner tail feathers being dark.

hope this helps!!!!

Last edited:
Here are a few of my call ducks!!

White call pullet
White call pullet at show
White cockerel at show

White call pullet
Penciled cockerel with dusky pied pullet
Pastel pair

Back
Top Bottom