Call ducks

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
I'm getting a runner, Welsh Harlequin and an African goose (all female) toward the end of the month. Was thinking of getting a call duck or two as well. Do you think even though there's a significant size difference that they'll do ok with each other if they're raised together? I've seen many mixed sizes flocks that include calls but also seen many say it's not a good idea. The calls don't get sexed so I wouldn't know if they'd be male or female. Also, with the flying, has anyone has issues with recall when free ranging? My Pekins and Swedish come when called but I've never worked with Call ducks before

1st thing, please either get 2 geese, or no geese at all. A single goose will not be truly happy living with ducks - they don’t speak the same language, or have the same behaviors.

I don’t have calls, but all brooding together sounds like a bad idea. The size difference is very large, like you said, with calls and geese. As adults, it might be better.

I’ve seen stories of people who had calls, or other flying birds, who, despite being owned for months or even years, flew away and were never seen again. Even if you trained them to recall, there’s still no guarantee that they’ll stay. Many people simply don’t take the chance and will clip their wings.

1st thing, please either get 2 geese, or no geese at all. A single goose will not be truly happy living with ducks - they don’t speak the same language, or have the same behaviors.

I don’t have calls, but all brooding together sounds like a bad idea. The size difference is very large, like you said, with calls and geese. As adults, it might be better.

I’ve seen stories of people who had calls, or other flying birds, who, despite being owned for months or even years, flew away and were never seen again. Even if you trained them to recall, there’s still no guarantee that they’ll stay. Many people simply don’t take the chance and will clip their wings.
K that's what I was thinking

I won't be getting calls anytime soon but it was a thought

I got 4 little Call Drakes fully feathered and around 3 months old a couple of years ago. They were in a separate pen for 24 hours and then turned loose with the rest of my flock. At the time I had a Mallard Drake and a Huge Muscovy Drake. No one bothered the Call boys as they all 4 stuck together and even chased some of my bigger boys. They were quite feisty. I ended up rehoming the Muscovy Drake and Mallard Drake and also two of the Call boys to even out my ration of male to female. I am getting two more Call ducklings this week from Metzer. They will be pinioned as I can't afford for them to fly off and it scares my flock to death when I try to catch one to clip them. The one I already had has angel wing and does not fly and the other one has never tried to leave. These Calls are in with big Rouen ducks, Khaki Campbells, Muscovy, Mallard, Runner Ducks and a huge Mule Duck Hen. They all get along well and they actually mate my Khaki Campbells and my Mallard and I am not sure who else, lol. Good luck if you decide to get any. Metzer Farms will pinion them for you. I have pinioned several of my other birds and they were supposed to do my Mallards but someone forgot so hopefully these will come to me done.

I'm getting a runner, Welsh Harlequin and an African goose (all female) toward the end of the month. Was thinking of getting a call duck or two as well. Do you think even though there's a significant size difference that they'll do ok with each other if they're raised together? I've seen many mixed sizes flocks that include calls but also seen many say it's not a good idea. The calls don't get sexed so I wouldn't know if they'd be male or female. Also, with the flying, has anyone has issues with recall when free ranging? My Pekins and Swedish come when called but I've never worked with Call ducks before
I agree with other person- definitely do not get only one goose…if ordering from metzer farms…just get a male / female pair. They will be happy together and not bother the ducks.

As for call ducks and other…I have calls and a few mallards….the mallards definitely try and dominate…unless…when I raised the mallards I also raised two call ducks with them….because they consider those two calls part of their ‘flock’ I have no problem..,,but the mallards will bully my other call ducks.

Funny how they are all different. My Calls came into my flock at 3 months of age, fully feathered. I had my Mallards for a few years. The Call ducks boss the Mallards and some of my other Hens around and none of my ducks bother them. All flock ratios are different and I am just fortunate that my mixed flock works out well together. My Mule duck is almost the size of a goose but she gets along fine with them too. Not to say that everyone would have the same luck as me. My Calls try to mate my Mallards and Khaki Campbells, those are their favorite girls, lol.

You can have calls and other ducks together, I have some together right now; But you can’t have calls and geese together, they’d just be too big.

You can have calls and other ducks together, I have some together right

now; But you can’t have calls and geese together, they’d just be too big.
It would possibly work if you ordered them all at the same exact time and it would be interesting to see if Metzer would put them all together in the same box. I don't know if you are ordering them from them or not. My Mule is as big as a goose but probably has a different personality than one so that might be why she is so good with my flock. My Call drakes are very feisty and not afraid of anything so that helped them to be able to be added to a group of large ducks and no harm done. They are the ones that will grab one of the girls by the end of their wing at times to get them out of their way instead of the other way around. They also boss my Mallard drake around. Again it all depends on the personalities and the dynamics of the flock. It works well for me but my pen is covered with netting, very large, lots of places for everyone to get out of bad weather or hide. Whatever you decide I hope works out well for you too.

Hi I know it has already been said but get 2 geese or none
And I have 4 female khaki campbells and 2 call duck boys and they are completely fine I also have 1 runner duckling and 1 silver appleyard duckling that will be brooded with call ducks (when the calls hatch) I will be carefully watching them to make sure the calls aren't bullied but I think they will be perfectly fine together especially if your other ducks are female
I love call duck and would very much recommend them
As for the flying I am not sure but my call drakes can fly (although I clipped their wings) but my khakis are old and don't fly so the calls stay with them and the calls weren't brooded with the khakis and they get on amazing
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom