CALLING ALL CHICKEN COOP GURUS

the girls are finally in their forever home, still a couple of little things to do but they love it so far!! made it through their first night and are thriving! Any good recommendations on what to put in boxes? or on the ground? Also a good feed for them?

What are we thinking about coop/run?!?!?!?

I used pine shavings inside the coop and deep litter method https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/70/deep-litter-method/2230 in the run. Place a 6 -8" barrier at the bottom of the people door to prevent shavings from being kicked out into the run. Start collecting leaves, pine straw, etc for your run to prevent it becoming a muddy, poopy mess
big_smile.png
. Study up on the Deep Litter Method and you can have an odor free healthy environment for your girls!
Also, a layer(~6") of bedding in the coop provides a soft landing when they come off the roost and prevents leg injuries. Mine also sometimes dust bathe in the shavings. You could put a poop board or a hammock/sling under the roost to catch the poop and you will seldom have to clean out the whole thing!

Last edited:
X2 on the poop board. I use SweetPDZ in my poop board and clean the poop out every couple days. Never smells and is easy to clean

I use this feeder from Rugged Rooster. It holds 10 pounds of food. Doesn't get spilled on the ground or wet.
d82fe10c83ef284c0a73c183489941af

Thanks for all the ideas, we have some huge pine trees in out backyard so wrestling some stuff up will be no problem. WE are having trouble incorporating a perch for them or roost for them to sit on. With the building being a resin/plastic I do not want to put a ton of holes in it. Any ideas for some natural perch/roosts??

They are so happy, tho finding worms and just basking in the sun!

Back
Top Bottom