Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Quote:
Maybe they will lay one in the next 2 weeks!

fl.gif

I have my crele penedesenca in a covered run and coop.
I am in the process of building another one for the white empordanesa hens and any others I may hatch from some eggs I am getting in.
For now I picked up a bruiser of a flock protector.
A blue Jersey Giant my kids named Hughey the Huge. He is with the partridge pene's , white emp's and my icelandic and ameraucana hens.

I have my crele penedesenca in a covered run and coop.
I am in the process of building another one for the white empordanesa hens and any others I may hatch from some eggs I am getting in.
For now I picked up a bruiser of a flock protector.
A blue Jersey Giant my kids named Hughey the Huge. He is with the partridge pene's , white emp's and my icelandic and ameraucana hens.
How are partridge pene roos with flock protection? Hoping my dozen pp eggs hatch later this week.
fl.gif
We have 5 french gcm also in the incubator. I definitely want to keep a roo from the pp but not sure about the gcm. The neighbors may not like the crowing but then again I don't care too much for their dogs barking...

Hughey sounds like a great bird. We had a black Jersey Giant but gave him to friends. He then wandered off to their neighbor's flock (they had nicer hens?) Happy Hatching! Are you getting more empordanesa eggs?

I sincerely wish you well , but have reservations about the ability of most cock birds to protect the flock from winged predators . I have read elsewhere that the really big aggressive Oriental Game cocks such as Shamo , Thai, Kulang Asil etc can give Raptors a run for their money, but I for one would not take the risk. It seems everything eats chicken , and protecting them is a never ending battle. My next door neighbor had all of his 20+ chickens taken by Coyotes last week. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I sincerely wish you well , but have reservations about the ability of most cock birds to protect the flock from winged predators . I have read elsewhere that the really big aggressive Oriental Game cocks such as Shamo , Thai, Kulang Asil etc can give Raptors a run for their money, but I for one would not take the risk. It seems everything eats chicken , and protecting them is a never ending battle. My next door neighbor had all of his 20+ chickens taken by Coyotes last week. Good Luck.
that is too bad about your neighbor.. Protect a flock they will by sounding a alarm. As far as a rooster killing a hawk I think that is unlikely except maybe one of the breeds you mentioned.
I got a Jersey Giant Rooster to look after my layer hens not so he would take out a hawk but hoping the hawk would fly by see a big rooster and think twice about going after any of the hens or the rooster. That is all.

Back
Top Bottom