Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
I think zazzle has them. only wheaten hen and hen rooster shirt.
I plan on getting them.

So far I got a egg yesterday from a crele hen this week. Hope I get more for you Feathers
Thanks!
fl.gif

I think zazzle has them. only wheaten hen and hen rooster shirt.
I plan on getting them.

So far I got a egg yesterday from a crele hen this week. Hope I get more for you Feathers
I need to check into how you kept your account but changed your login name!

I love it! Do you remember when they had the stuffed cowboy hanging by a noose from the building in down town Placerville?(Placerville CA used to be called Hangtown. The name was changed years ago.)

I need to check into how you kept your account but changed your login name!

I love it! Do you remember when they had the stuffed cowboy hanging by a noose from the building in down town Placerville?(Placerville CA used to be called Hangtown. The name was changed years ago.)
lol... The stuffed guy is back

You have to message a staff member. You can change it once so check spelling

In an attempt to improve the breed I was going to start trapnesting last summer, build a cabinet incubator with separate hatcher and set eggs like mad. Then last May I got in a battle with my city which lasted 9 months for the ability to keep chickens at all, so putting labor and time into trapnests or anything else chicken related was something I put on hold. I even sold and gave away a lot of my birds. I recently won the battle. Lo and behold the new ordinance allows grandfathering for the number of birds one already had, so reducing my flock size worked against me.
The good news(if needing a permit is good news) I just picked up my permit to keep 85 chickens of which 5 can be roosters so I'm back in business.

I'm fearful that trapnesting will be stressing the birds. It probably wouldn't be a big deal for most people, especially if their birds are pets but as you know one required characteristic of Penedesencas is that they be a wild bird. Their wildness stresses them quite easily with humans or other predators around. I'm afraid that they'll soon associate the trapnest with something dangerous - especially if I can't figure a way to release them and get their legband # without them seeing me.
The purpose of trapnesting, besides selecting for conformation and color, I'm working to determine each hen's production and egg size and working on darker eggs.
I just found the following site concerning stress factors that affect egg color.
http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/#/factors-affecting-shell-color/4542701177
Paragraphs 3 and 4 talk about fearfulness at the end of the laying cycle. If in fact trapnesting would stress them it would work against determining the darkest layers.

I have some small breeding apartment coops and within a couple days of putting a hen in them they quit laying so trapnesting is my best bet other than sitting by the nests all day.

Back
Top Bottom