Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
I like seeing pene eggs darker than marans.
I bought a variety of eggs from a breeder for the NYD hatchalong because all mine took a break. Among them were 2 varieties of marans. The splash marans eggs weren't dark at all, more like a rock or orpington egg. The white marans eggs were dark but not nearly as dark as my pene eggs.

Quote:
I like seeing pene eggs darker than marans.
I bought a variety of eggs from a breeder for the NYD hatchalong because all mine took a break. Among them were 2 varieties of marans. The splash marans eggs weren't dark at all, more like a rock or orpington egg. The white marans eggs were dark but not nearly as dark as my pene eggs.

Beautiful egg color!!
I agree completely! Beautiful and nice color. I hatched FBC Marans last year and the eggs were not as dark. They also died in the heat. After the first wave of 100 plus temps I added shade. The second wave and the second dead Marans, I added a mister and a box fan. My EO Marraduna Basque, which are listed as heat hardy, hardly panted in the heat. Since the Penes are listed as Ultra Heat hardy, I will not have to do crazy things to keep them alive in our hot summers. My Marans were relocated to San Jose CA, which is much cooler than the Sacramento Valley.

Below is a quote from a site that sells Marans hatching eggs. They are trying to help us be realistic about the eggs we will get from Marans:

The eggs shown are 2 from black coppers, 1 blue copper bottom, and 2 white eggs. The marans eggs will lighten up a bit towards the end of the cycle.
These eggs are natural, not pollished and waxed to show a wet glossy shine!

100_1151.189194614_std.jpg

It looks like a lot of Marans eggs are polished and waxed to get them to look shiny.

hi y'all
just found this theard i also have penedesencas i have 3 p p and 1 roo / 6 Creole hens 2 roo / 2 wheaten roo / 1 hen but i am hatching
now hope all goes well is there any one else in Mississippi with penedesencas .
will keep the bit-ties and grow them to pick from then sale the extra if someone needs a few .

hi y'all
just found this theard i also have penedesencas i have 3 p p and 1 roo / 6 Creole hens 2 roo / 2 wheaten roo / 1 hen but i am hatching
will keep the bit-ties and grow them to pick from then sale the extra if someone needs a few .

I am in California.

Post pictures when you get a chance!

hi y'all
A warm welcome to you.
I wish more people were raising Blacks but any interest in Penes is great.
I have never heard of a MS pene raiser so you are probably the only one.
Since I've found so few other black bird breeder, for the time being, I'm just planning on improving my own flock.
I posted a standard for Blacks I translated from Catalonian, Spanish and Irish on the Yahoo Penedesenca board.
I plan on posting standards for the other varieties when I get time to translate.

Quote: I may be getting Black pene hatching eggs from Our Fly Babies. I clicked the wrong line. If so and they hatch, I will have some here in California! I can't guarantee I will be able to breed them. Hopefully stashing the Roos in the Country some where will work.....

hay thanks for the welcome chicken canoe is that an ancona i see in your info tag
i have been raising them for about 4 years now and really do like them a lot a little flighty but calm down as thay get older
i have not found any black penes to get a start of them any where closer than 500 miles from me .
the penes i have now i ordered as a rarest of the rear only could get eggs so i ordered 2 dozen rarest 4 dozen rare from myres
and only hatched 20 i don't know what happened a friend ordered blue orpington eggs at the same time put in the same incubator
and hatched 90 % of his eggs on the same day with mine go figure long story short a lot of money in a few brides at 4.50 per egg
what does penes usually go for in your neck of the woods .

A warm welcome to you.
I wish more people were raising Blacks but any interest in Penes is great.
I have never heard of a MS pene raiser so you are probably the only one.
Since I've found so few other black bird breeder, for the time being, I'm just planning on improving my own flock.
I posted a standard for Blacks I translated from Catalonian, Spanish and Irish on the Yahoo Penedesenca board.
I plan on posting standards for the other varieties when I get time to translate.
I have some coming from Sandhill and hopefully someone else as well. Will be working on them as well. I am not sure of Sand Hills quality but they need help like you said and oh Ron you know I will take a rooster off your hands lol

hi y'all
welcome. I have crele and some partridge. Also White empordanesa

Back
Top Bottom