Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
The Black Penedesenca eggs were delivered today. They are all intact with now cracks!

He shipped 8 to me:

The auction said they were a bit light because they had been laying for a while...Look pretty dark to me.

I just got some from the same guy.
I have culled a lot from my flock and I'm pretty happy with where they are but I'm hoping to get a couple nice birds from these eggs to start another line.

They were my choice because they are dual purpose. I really don't have the space do do justice to more than one breed even though I've had a smattering of 24 different breeds and varieties at one time before.
Now that my chicken legalities are worked out I plan on hatching a lot and culling hard. City delayed my plans by a year.
Skinny young roosters don't make much of a carcass. I've butchered my share of young Ancona, Leghorn and Polish roos. They still taste like chicken though.
So a DP dark layer was my choice.
One of my 7 week olds started crowing yesterday. That's the first other than a Jaerhon that crowed this early.
I was going to set eggs yesterday but decided to hold off a day or so. We had over 11 inches of heavy wet snow by dark and it was still coming down with snow showers forcasted for at least another day.
I'd hate to have a power outage a day or so in.

Last edited:
did you get all yours from that ebay seller??? if not have u noticed a difference between them??? also i would love to see more pics of blacks...
They were my choice because they are dual purpose. I really don't have the space do do justice to more than one breed even though I've had a smattering of 24 different breeds and varieties at one time before.
Now that my chicken legalities are worked out I plan on hatching a lot and culling hard. City delayed my plans by a year.
Skinny young roosters don't make much of a carcass. I've butchered my share of young Ancona, Leghorn and Polish roos. They still taste like chicken though.
One of my 7 week olds started crowing yesterday. That's the first other than a Jaerhon that crowed this early.
I was going to set eggs yesterday but decided to hold off a day or so. We had over 11 inches of heavy wet snow by dark and it was still coming down with snow showers forcasted for at least another day.

yes loosing power with a full bator would be a bummer

did you get all yours from that ebay seller??? if not have u noticed a difference between them??? also i would love to see more pics of blacks...
This will be my first from ebay. My current flock came from the Pennys in GA. I'm also getting some eggs soon from a friend in Northern MO who had an older pair. They're apparently the only birds left from when there were several flocks in MO several years ago. I gave him a nice pullet and my best cockerel last summer (when my city probs started) so he's crossing my boy with his hen and vice versa and I'll get eggs from both pairings.
I'll add more pics soon but here are some of mine.

yes loosing power with a full bator would be a bummer
13" now and another on the way.
Several hundred homes near me out of power this morning. I'm glad I waited.

Back
Top Bottom