Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Help? I hatched 5 black copper marans eggs. This guy is 4 weeks old. Is this "carnation" comb? Does that imply some penedesenca genetics or is that too simple? His crown has inspired me to possibly get some Penedesencas in the future.

Thanks!

We have posted about marans and penedesenca sharing some genes. It is very likely--Spain and France are not that far from each other.

Marans breeders call them sprigs. It is a DQ for Marans but needed for Penedesencas.

You should get some Penedesencas. Jason has mostly black now and they look great next to FBCM.

We have posted about marans and penedesenca sharing some genes. It is very likely--Spain and France are not that far from each other.

Marans breeders call them sprigs. It is a DQ for Marans but needed for Penedesencas.

You should get some Penedesencas. Jason has mostly black now and they look great next to FBCM.

Now I'm searching for hatching eggs. Any resources you can give me? I'm not sure what I can budget. Thanks!

Also, I'm in NY state. The reviews say these are not cold hardy birds. Anyone have contrary evidence?
The problem can come from the big comb on the roosters. They do not have other problems with the cold compared to other breeds.

Jason keeps them higher in the mountains here and it does snow there.

It hit -19F here a couple winters ago. Some roosters lost a bit of comb and wattle but other than that they did fine. They are in buildings with big windows on both east and west walls that are about 1/4 of the wall and the prevailing wind blows right through. The big comb really helps in the heat.

tao chick here's your choices.
http://www.penedesencausa.com/

I'm a big fan of blacks since they are heavier and a good meat bird.

Last edited:
It hit -19F here a couple winters ago. Some roosters lost a bit of comb and wattle but other than that they did fine. They are in buildings with big windows on both east and west walls that are about 1/4 of the wall and the prevailing wind blows right through. The big comb really helps in the heat.

tao chick here's your choices.
http://www.penedesencausa.com/

I'm a big fan of blacks since they are heavier and a good meat bird.

Thank you!

this year my blacks seem to be laying the best per chicken and the eggs have been consistently dark ,
i hatched 2 Empordanesa chicks 2 weeks ago. one no doubt is a rooster the other I'm not sure . depending on how they look will determine if i try and get more eggs this year from another source

Will anyone here have fertile Penedesenca eggs available at the end of October, well that is barring any major or predictable mishaps? Thanks, Dallen

Back
Top Bottom