Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Has anyone considered reasons these birds aren't more popular?
I know many don't like their skittishness/aloofness, especially those that like lap pets.

I wonder if it also has to do with the fact the names are hard to pronounce and spell for English speakers.

Has anyone considered reasons these birds aren't more popular?
I know many don't like their skittishness/aloofness, especially those that like lap pets.

I wonder if it also has to do with the fact the names are hard to pronounce and spell for English speakers.
Maybe--but they are very hard to get and hatching eggs do not seem to ship well and hatch.

I'm not sure about that. Those I've sent eggs to have had as good or better hatches than I have. However, I'm working with homemade and LG incubators.
It could be because of packing techniques--The ones I have has shipped to me did not hatch well. I have read about this happening with others--but that is not scientific at all.

Yes. Anecdotal at best.
I try to pack as well as possible. Anything else I could do in packing wouldn't achieve any better results. At this point, it is all about handling on the way.

And, as you said, they're very hard to get. It took me 2 years to find my foundation stock and have extremely limited success getting any unrelated birds.

Do Leghorns, Spanish, Anconas, Minorcas and Buttercups survive where you live?
If so, these will too.

It hit -19F a couple winters ago and I have huge windows on both East and West walls in coops with the bitter wind blowing right through. The roosters did get frostbitten combs that winter but they all survived.

Do Leghorns, Spanish, anconas, Minorcas and Buttercups survive where you live?
If so, these will too.

It hit -19F a couple winters ago and I have huge windows on both East and West walls in coops with the bitter wind blowing right through. The roosters did get frostbitten combs that winter but they all survived.

Good question. Leghorns do survive around here. I have one that I'm about to keep through winter and if she does well and I find some space, I'll work on getting more breeds in Spring.

Back
Top Bottom