Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Don't worry so much about hardiness. I am in Washington, on the Olympic Peninsula. We get lots of clear days in the winter where the temperatures drop into the low 20's (or colder) at night and do not come above freezing in the day time. The cold spells like this can last as long as a couple of weeks. I have yet to have had any problems, other than having the normal ones of hauling water. I had two big screened windows on my coop, that had no glass so they were open all the time. We also get some pretty strong winds that can last for days, be it freezing or not. I had no frozen combs either.

The big thing I did notice was that they laid less eggs when it was freezing. They seem to be fairly tough. One hen hatched one chick late this summer. She started ignoring it when it was about 4 weeks old. It was in with my flock of 7 hens and a rooster. That little girl grew up just fine. Not that I would recommend doing it this way, but, I could not find any chicks close to her age to put her in my brooder with when the hen quit taking care of her. She sure held her own among the flock.

I need to find some chicks or eggs to add some out crosses. I guess I should start searching more diligently now.

Thank you for the info. Those big beautiful combs seemed prone to frostbite and more adapted to hot weather (which we do not get much of here in upstate NY). That egg color would be worth trying it.

Hi guys!
I am new to BYC. I have been looking everywhere online for some crele penedesenca eggs or chicks. We just moved to a larger piece of land in Texas and I think these would be the perfect free range bird for our heat and their eggs are georgeous! If anyone has any leads please let me know!
Thank you!
Lauren

Hi guys!
I am new to BYC. I have been looking everywhere online for some crele penedesenca eggs or chicks. We just moved to a larger piece of land in Texas and I think these would be the perfect free range bird for our heat and their eggs are georgeous! If anyone has any leads please let me know!
Thank you!
Lauren
Welcome!

@Hangtown Farms has dropped off of the site--he used to have crele penedesenca.

Let us know if you find some!

Welcome!

@Hangtown Farms
 has dropped off of the site--he used to have crele penedesenca.

Let us know if you find some!
Happy Holidays all. Hi Ron im still around and have and will always have my Penedesenca . I've been super busy every weekend between the chickens , goats and bamboo. I check in from time to time and will try to do so more often

Happy Holidays all. Hi Ron im still around and have and will always have my Penedesenca . I've been super busy every weekend between the chickens , goats and bamboo. I check in from time to time and will try to do so more often
Hi Jason,

Happy Holidays!

How are the Creles doing?

And how big are the blacks now.

Hi Jason,

Happy Holidays!

How are the Creles doing?

And how big are the blacks now.
There doing well . My one black pene boy is large. The other male is good size as well. I hatched some from the large boy pen and the other girls from run too growing them out to see what I got, I need to replace the humidifier on my rcom so no hatching at the moment. I did get a pair of empordanesa too hatch and a few extra roosters as well

Hi Jason. Welcome back.

I may have a friend going to Catalonia in the spring that I'm trying to talk into bringing back eggs.

Bama

Penedesenca are from the area of Spain known as Penedes.
Empordanesa are from the area of Spain know as Emporda.
Emporda is the easternmost county of Catalonia. Penedes is along the Mediterranean and about center in Catalonia.
The autonomous region of Spain called Catalonia is where these breeds are from.
Alt de Penedes is a county in Catalonia. The capitol is Villafranca del Penedes. That is the site of the annual Fira del Gall (fair of the rooster). This is the first wine region of Europe. Fira del Gall is a foodie festival held the last weekend before Christmas. The star of the show is the Black Penedesenca rooster, deemed organoleptically unique imparting a flavor to the meat unrivaled in other breeds. People pay the equivalent of $50 for a rooster on the hoof to take home for their Christmas dinner.

Back
Top Bottom