Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Well I got an answer. All I can say is WOW!!!

"Our birds come from Privett hatchery, and they are not breeding to a specific color pattern, but for egg color. They look very similar to the welsummer birds. "

IMHO, this is a problem.
I'm guessing they may be mixing up something that can screw up what some of us have bee trying to achieve as to standards.

Last edited:
Well I got an answer. All I can say is WOW!!!

"Our birds come from Privett hatchery, and they are not breeding to a specific color pattern, but for egg color. They look very similar to the welsummer birds. "

IMHO, this is a problem.
I'm guessing they may be mixing up something that can screw up what some of us have bee trying to achieve as to standards.
It seems like they have been doing this for quite some time. I found a thread from 2012 on here that said they looked like a mix with Welsummer.

somad.gif
hatcheries!

It seems like they have been doing this for quite some time. I found a thread from 2012 on here that said they looked like a mix with Welsummer.

somad.gif
hatcheries!
That makes sense that they look like welsummers. They probably took a few penedesencas and crossed them up with welsummers.
I actually had a welsummer hen that laid beautiful dark eggs in with a penedesenca flock with similar colored eggs.
The mix was a failure though since her daughters laid light eggs.

Guy any chance they would send you a picture . Id be curious to see what they look like. similar to Sand Hill where the birds are way off.

Maybe but I'm no longer interested since I despise taking a breed with such a small gene pool and diluting it by mixing up with other things.
It just cuts down on the sources of birds that can be counted on to be pure. Can no longer look to Privet, Sandhill or anyone that sources their birds there for any help introducing new blood.

I don't think I mentioned this on this thread.

My oldest rooster dropped dead Saturday before last. He was fine, looked into the pen a couple minutes later and he was dead. I had him necropsied at Mizzou diagnostic lab and I just got the emailed results.
He had a heart attack. He had an enlarged heart. Congested lungs and liver due to the heart condition.
The cause of the heart condition couldn't be found. This type of condition occurs sporadically in poultry species.
More accurately, the heart damage increases the chances of malfunction of the coordinated electrical conduction in the heart leading to catastrophic arrhythmia.

That makes sense that they look like welsummers. They probably took a few penedesencas and crossed them up with welsummers.
I actually had a welsummer hen that laid beautiful dark eggs in with a penedesenca flock with similar colored eggs.
The mix was a failure though since her daughters laid light eggs.

Maybe but I'm no longer interested since I despise taking a breed with such a small gene pool and diluting it by mixing up with other things.
It just cuts down on the sources of birds that can be counted on to be pure. Can no longer look to Privet, Sandhill or anyone that sources their birds there for any help introducing new blood.

I don't think I mentioned this on this thread.

My oldest rooster dropped dead Saturday before last. He was fine, looked into the pen a couple minutes later and he was dead. I had him necropsied at Mizzou diagnostic lab and I just got the emailed results.
He had a heart attack. He had an enlarged heart. Congested lungs and liver due to the heart condition.
The cause of the heart condition couldn't be found. This type of condition occurs sporadically in poultry species.
More accurately, the heart damage increases the chances of malfunction of the coordinated electrical conduction in the heart leading to catastrophic arrhythmia.
I am sorry to hear that!

It is amazing how well they hide illness.

Back
Top Bottom