Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Got back from vacation late last night & my hubby said 2 hens have gone broody. 1 is a Black Penedesenca! I'm not sure how many eggs she's sitting on or how long she has been sitting! These are my first broody hens ever. The other broody is in a different coop & is either a black australorp or an Iowa Blue or it could be a black sex link.

I've had Penedesencas go broody every year until this one. I think I'll change out my nest bedding for excelsior and see if that encourages them.

One year I had 9 pullets that had just started laying when 8 of them went broody in a community nest.

Mine?

I'm running a LG right now. My big cabinet is still being refurbished. I just haven't had time. I have 9 chicks that have hatched in the last week or so. 5 more due next week.

Hey Folks, just joined BYC and I am looking for more info on this breed. I live in Phoenix I am looking for two egg laying Penes. Also, if there is any chance I could have a meet and greet with these birds I'd like to see how friendly they are. Do they tolerate the heat here in the Sonoran Desert? I'm originally from Spain so I'm also interested in this breed for obvious reasons. Your help is appreciated.

Yes.
LG should only be used as a flotation device or to start tomato and pepper seeds
lau.gif

Agreed!

Hey Folks, just joined BYC and I am looking for more info on this breed. I live in Phoenix I am looking for two egg laying Penes. Also, if there is any chance I could have a meet and greet with these birds I'd like to see how friendly they are. Do they tolerate the heat here in the Sonoran Desert? I'm originally from Spain so I'm also interested in this breed for obvious reasons. Your help is appreciated.
As Mediterranean birds, they handle the heat but the desert may be a challenge.
I call them aloof. They avoid human contact so I wouldn't call them friendly till about a year or so of age when they realize you won't eat them and you feed them.
I sold some eggs to a guy in Arizona several months ago.

I just gave my broody barred rock 4 Black Penedesenca eggs to hatch! If all goes well, they should hatch on the 28th of August! I haven't been very successful the last 2 times I've tried to incubate them( in an incubator), so I'm hoping she does much better than me. It's her 1st time being broody, so we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom