Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Hello all, I am looking for high quality Penedesenca crele hatching eggs, chicks, or older birds. Any help is very much appreciated. Cheers

I just gave my broody barred rock 4 Black Penedesenca eggs to hatch! If all goes well, they should hatch on the 28th of August! I haven't been very successful the last 2 times I've tried to incubate them( in an incubator), so I'm hoping she does much better than me. It's her 1st time being broody, so we'll see.
How did it go Karen?
I'm redoing my incubators but should start hatching again by December or January. If you want, I'll incubate some of your eggs for you after the first of the year.

I've been searching fruiltlessly for chicks or juveniles in Fl. Anyone know of anyone?

It's amazing how few of these wonderful birds are out there.

I think there are 2 possible reasons. Lots of people want pet birds they can cuddle with. This isn't the breed for that however some of the people I've sold to have tamed them nicely.
The other reason is they are known by some to be flighty and I think that is a misnomer.
By nature, they avoid human contact - or anything non-chicken. But if not closely confined they are quite calm. They just need to know they have an escape path. They are very respectful of fences no matter how short.

How did it go Karen?
I'm redoing my incubators but should start hatching again by December or January. If you want, I'll incubate some of your eggs for you after the first of the year.

It's amazing how few of these wonderful birds are out there.

I think there are 2 possible reasons. Lots of people want pet birds they can cuddle with. This isn't the breed for that however some of the people I've sold to have tamed them nicely.
The other reason is they are known by some to be flighty and I think that is a misnomer.
By nature, they avoid human contact - or anything non-chicken. But if not closely confined they are quite calm. They just need to know they have an escape path. They are very respectful of fences no matter how short.
2 hatched. I didn't make it. I found it out of the nest on the floor, very cold. I tried to warm it up, but it didn't make it. The other 2 eggs not making it were my fault. I accidently removed them thinking they were newly laid eggs. I had marked them, but with pencil, and it had warn off or I just didn't see it.

I would love for you to incubate some of my Penedesenca eggs after the first of the year. At the moment, I am getting very few of them, but this is an improvement! I was getting none for a month or two. In just the past week or 2 I have started getting 2 or 3 a week. The pullet hasn't started laying yet. She is 16 weeks old as of the 6th of November. I did get her some litter mates so she wouldn't be an only chick. She has 2 barred rock, 2 buff orpingtons, & 1 Rhode Island red sister. I am getting ready to move the 5 of them to another coop.

Back
Top Bottom