Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Quote:
I have a few started birds I might consider selling. They are 2-4 months old.
smile.png

D'Angelo N Va. :

Hey guys found this website today it is from a farm in Georgia www.littlegemhatchery.com the person there is claiming to have purebreds that are true to breed..he is also charging 3.33 @ egg and 12.00 @chick. Now 12.00 to me is a bit much...the eggs, if mine hatch meaning I have my incubator working properly I hope..I will take about a dozen. Has anyone heard of this hatchery before?

My chicks are also $12.00 each. Eggs are $50.00/dozen. I have a pretty large investment in these guys
smile.png

23343_securedownload2.jpg
23343_securedownload.jpg

Hopefully I did the Uploads right, I copied and pasted trying to get them on here. These are eggs I collected today after I got home, I laid the 2 eggs in the Snow because I thought the lighting would be better with the Snow as a Background, then I decided to pick them up and hold them in my Hand to take the picture, the front side of the eggs are dry the side in my hand got wet from the Snow, I have no idea which Hens are laying the eggs, I have one Partridge Hen and 4 Black Hens and one Hen that is 1/2Black & 1/2Partridge, at this point it doesn't make a difference anyway because there is no Rooster involved, this is the Color of the eggs I've got so far, the one egg is smaller around than the other egg in the picture, not alot smaller just an observation, after I get a Black Rooster to use I'll be more concerned about separating the Partridge Hen and 1/2&1/2 Hen out so that I only get eggs from the Pure Black ones for Incubating. Hope the pictures come thru.

Victoria

Quote:
My chicks are also $12.00 each. Eggs are $50.00/dozen. I have a pretty large investment in these guys
smile.png

difference being, you are not commercial and you have a stake in this. Hatcheries like McMurray and others are not in it for the egg color. I am sure you can supply pics. if needed of your eggs..they Can't. ARe you selling eggs? I talked to the person today, they are saying the partridge is the darkest they have, darker than the others. what are your views on this? And thanks for the info. on this breed. I have got to get some.

Does anyone out ther know where I can get Crele Penedesenca eggs or chicks? I can't find them anywhere. Everyone seems to only have wheatons and partidge. The creles are beautiful. I'm surprised they are not as popular as the others.

D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:
smile.png

difference being, you are not commercial and you have a stake in this. Hatcheries like McMurray and others are not in it for the egg color. I am sure you can supply pics. if needed of your eggs..they Can't. ARe you selling eggs? I talked to the person today, they are saying the partridge is the darkest they have, darker than the others. what are your views on this? And thanks for the info. on this breed. I have got to get some.​

Iactually have a variation in egg color in both groups, from medium brown to very dark brown. These birds are still a definite work in progress in this country. I am selling eggs and will try to provide the darkest eggs my girls lay :)

This pic is from early winter/late fall and shows a pretty good range for our eggs, as well as two results
smile.png

The lightest egg in the front is a Barred Bantam Cochin.
41991_dscf1748.jpg

Nice eggs.
I am getting about the same, my eggs are medium - large,
and some terracotta and others about a 6-7 on the marans chart.

Their egg color is a definite work in progress, but I want my chickens to live as freely as chickens do as possible. I don't want to burn them out.

I want my hens to be consistent in their egg color, Like my Marans, Free ranging helps egg color, but in doing so they are vulnerable predators. I know through experiencing it 1st hand, I lost a group of 10 roosters in a 4 day period.

I Found in my studies that diet affects their egg color dramatically,

When I put them on a specific & controlled diet their eggs are dark as can be! If I don't then eggs range in color especially when penned up.
Stress also affect egg color, & Penedesenca's do stress easily, as most of you know penedesencas are know for their wild sides.

Back
Top Bottom