Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Quote:
Yeah! You did it!!! Great pics!

I hatched yesterday & today too
big_smile.png

5 Partridge & 4 Wheaten. I have a breeding quad of each (2 additional Wheaten bachelor roos) and lots of young stock coming up, 2-4 months old.

4 of the 5 Partridge Babies (the other was still in the 'bator)
41991_dscf2278.jpg

Wheaten babies
41991_dscf2288.jpg

Sweet BIG Partridge chicks, these guys are HUGE this hatch!
41991_pp.jpg

Some of the eggs they hatched from
41991_dscf2256.jpg

Dread Pirate Roberts, I added a few of those ideas to my feed this week, Cinnamon, Whole Black Pepper & Black Oil Sunflower seeds. I don't want to change my whole feed program, but supplements are OK with me. I'm so curious to see if there are any changes. I'm so thrilled with the color & quality of these chicks that I'm fine with egg color improving or staying the same. The proof is in the pudding....or chick~LOL

Thanks so much for your link. That was great reading!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Yeah I finally posted pics, It only took forever to learn
lol.png

Thanks for the tips on how to do so.

I have more chicks hatching on the March 6th, But I wont be in for the hatch,
I am going to be at a show. I set about 18-20 eggs. I Can't wait, I am needing to hatch more roosters,
Our last hatch was about half and half.

I just gave away half a doz hatching eggs ,2 pullets and 1 hen to a friend of mine .
We are wanting to Hatch More Roosters out here than anything.

Will keep you updated on the hatches to come.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Josh,

Congrats on posting some pictures. I was glad to finally see some pictures of your chickens.

So, what was your percentage rate for your Penedesenca hatch? Are you finding that the percentage is lower for shipped eggs?

Hoping it warms up soon here in Wisconsin!!

thumbsup.gif

Talk about hatching roosters ..... i once ordered Pene eggs , a doz from two different people = 24 eggs - hatched 15 = 14 roosters 1 pullet and she died later , the roosters lived on & on .

Quote:
In theory they can be color sexed. Darker, more striped chicks, are *supposed* to be female. I'm experimenting with feather sexing right now with this new batch and will keep records of successive hatches
smile.png

Quote:
In theory they can be color sexed. Darker, more striped chicks, are *supposed* to be female. I'm experimenting with feather sexing right now with this new batch and will keep records of successive hatches
smile.png

Yikes! My hatches seem pretty equal. There's lots of boys AND girls running around in the "tween-ager" pen
wink.png

Quote:
Wow, I had 2 hatches of 18 eggs each of Partridge Penes and of those 36 plus eggs, 2 hatched. The rooster later died and I gave the pullet to a friend in the country with chickens; and he says she 'ran away from home' but that's because he does not believe a hawk can carry off a chicken. Not the best luck with Partridge.

I'm onto Wheatens now. Still having trouble iwth hatching on shipped eggs. Of 2 plus dozen I've hatched 5. Better than before but still not high percentages. sigh.

My hatch rates are high , and fertility is through the ROOF!
lol.png

As fas as shipping I have shipped eggs all over, and all customers hatched 70% - 100%.

I have more chicks hatching on March 6, 2010.
big_smile.png

I set about 18 Penedesenca eggs in the incubator I will keep you BYC'ers posted on the hatch.

On My last hatch I though I hached half and half but it looks like I hatched more pullets probably 60-70% pullets. DARN!
I need more roosters,

I just gave away 3-4 pullets to my friend,
I Hope I get more cockerels on my next hatch.

BUT YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS,

WHEN YOU WANT SOMTHING YOU CAN"T GET THEM,
AND WHEN YOU DON'T THEY ARE EVERYWHERE
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom