Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
my only concern with changing the name is what if someone imports the other colors of Empordanesa (red and blonde) would we just change the name of the new imports too??? would that reduse the value of them???

i like your additude about the brainstorming lol...

ok late last night i talk to one of the board members of the APA... he said that we could have any name for the club we want the APA does not care... but he said it pro would not be wise to not use the name of the breed... when you try to start a club alot of times it can get hairy and some ppl will get mad and split of into another club (like the 2 marans clubs) and if ppl google the breed you want them to go to your site so its best to use the name of the breed and usa or america to make sure its a natinal club...

so what yall think???

Well that solves that Question, so we go with Penedesencas first, we can still raise and breed the Empordanesas and once we get numbers of them up to where it will amount to something we can make a Club for them as well.

In order to keep things straight we'll need a Penedesencas Breeders List on the Site, it would be a good idea to list Name and State, Contact Information, Feather Color, and the year the Individual started with the Birds for each feather color, Example: Victoria Ochs/Ohio [email protected] Black 2009
Victoria Ochs/Ohio [email protected] Partridge 2009

And another Breeders List, possibly Other Catalan Breeders List under a separate Tab or header, however you do that to make sure they are completely separate for covering the Empordanesas, did I miss any other Catalan Breeds that are Darkegglayers? I wasn't concerned about the Prat, as it is already recognized and isn't a Darkegglayer. The Other Breeders List should just be used for Other Dark Egglaying Catalan Breeds or the Empordanesas if that is all that is included in that Catagory. This way we can keep track of the Progress with the Empordanesas as we are going.

A Links Section to cover Individuals that choose to list their other breeds of Poultry, that will help with keeping everything straight and give everyone an opportunity to list their other breeds on the site for anyone viewing it that is also looking for other breeds of Poultry.

Maybe a Forum for discussions of Health, Genetic Questions and Other Pertinent Information

A History Section would be nice to have

These are just a few things I think of right off the top of my head

Come on Guys and Gals we need Input.
We also need a Name

Input please !!!

We could include Dates and Locations of APA Shows Information on How to Show and who to Contact for getting the birds involved in a Show once we figure out who has been working with what Feather Color Variety the Longest and to see if the numbers are there for the amount of breeders and years breeding, that will help with getting a time frame together for Planning for going for APA Acceptance, then we can see what feather color to go with next just by the use of the Breeders List Information I'm Sure there's other Information I'm not touching on, these are just a few of the things I thought of first

Victoria

I AM SHOWING BLACKS DOWN HERE IN TX.

I WILL ASK SOME JUDGES AND POST WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT PENEDESENCAS AND WHAT THEY KNOW ON THEM.

AT THIS POINT PENEDESENCAS HAVE A HIGHER CHANCE OF GETTING RECOGNIZED THAN THE EMPRODANESCA.
THERE IS MORE PENEDESENCAS BEING SHOWN THAN EMPORDANESCA, FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD.

VERY TRUE THE NAME OF A CLUB DOES NOT MATTER TO THE APA.
IT DOES NOT EVEN MATTER IF YOU ARE A BREEDER AND EXHIBITOR AND ARE NOT IN ANY OF THE BREED CLUBS.

MY FRIEND IS A CONSTANT WINNER WHO MAKES IT TO (CHAMPIONSHIP ROW ) VERY OFFTEN, AT SHOWS AND SCORES MANY HIGH SHOW POINTS , & HE HAS LITTLE TO NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS BREEDS CLUB. THE ONLY CLUBS THAT SHOULD MATTER ARE THE ABA & APA, THEY ARE THE ONES WHO GIVE YOU SHOW POINTS, NOT THE BREED CLUB.

EVEN IF WE DON'T FORM A CLUB SOON , YES IT WOULD BE NICE, BUT IT WOULDN'T DO ANYTHING, IF THERE ARE LITTLE TO NONE BEING EXHIBITED. WE NEED TO PUT MORE EFFORT IN MAKING IT TO THE SHOWS AND EDUCATING PEOPLE ON THE BREEDS.

YOU MUST SHOW YOUR PENEDESENCAS AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE 7 NOT JUST ONCE OR TWICE, IF YOU START & CAN KEEP SHOWING YOUR PENEDESENCA,
IT GETS THEM THE RECOGNITION THEY NEED, AND GETS JUDGES MORE FAMILAR WITH THE CATALONIAN BREEDS ( PENEDESENCA & EMPORDANESCA).
thumbsup.gif

P.S. JUST HATCHED OUT 3 MORE BLACK PENEDESENCAS LAST NIGHT !!!
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif

Last edited:
I do think the club can help the breed by networking breeders and bringing out good showings. Yes some people are loners, but I HATE being the only exhibitor of my breed at a show - it is fun with several competitors.

I think naming the club for the Breed will help people find you and it is very clear what you are working on.

I agree.

I am just curious though, are all of the rest of you already members of the Penedesencas USA Club?

If so, why not have Elias create a Website for the Group and have everyone Band together to get the breed APA Approved? And just go with the Penedesencas USA Club that is already started?

I am not a Member so I have no way of knowing what you already have organized for the breed. I only have Constructive Suggestions on how to know what you do have in the Current Population of Birds, which is why I suggested a Breeders list with Names, Dates, and Feather colors in order to know what is possible to do first and what could follow, at least to know what Color stands the best chance of meeting the criteria of the 5ys, 5Breeders that is required.

I also don't understand how birds can be shown that are not an APA approved Breed? What are they listed as? All other Variety? Are they being shown at Fairs? APA Approved Shows?

I just think its premature to show without an Ultimate Plan, I also think it is very risky to expose an already small Population of a Breed to Diseases that could possibly come from a Show, when they should be considered as Valueble Breeding Stock that needs to be Preserved and More Produced.

My Cousin is on the Ohio Breeders List and has been for many years, he's shown since he was Knee High to a Duck, at least 40 some years that I've known of, about 2 years ago, he and his wife attended a Show here in Ohio, as soon as he walked into the Show, he said to his wife "Smell that?" She said "Yes" He said "That's Coryza" When he got home from that Show he lost 45 of his Birds.

I showed an Araucana Pullet at the Ohio National Show in 2008 it was my first show, I was there the entire show, I also took care of 2 other Araucana Breeders Birds while I was there, I went as late as I could for putting the birds in their cages for checking in, before I put any birds in any of the cages I took Tek-Trol Aerosol Spray and sprayed all of the Cages down in the Row the birds were in, as well as the Cages beside them, the cages in the Rows on both sides of the Row the birds were in, totally on all 4 sides of those Araucanas, I removed all of the Cups in their Cages and dissinfected them before putting the Food I brought and Water I brought with me in the Cups, each day I sprayed Tek-Trol Aerosol Spray up and down the Aisles the Araucanas were in, I have a Large Purse and was discreet when I did spray the aisles, which I did almost hourly, and as soon as they were released from the show I got them out of there. None of the birds I took care of had any disease issues after the show. I still quarantined my Pullet. And I checked with the Other Araucana Breeders weeks afterwards to make sure they didn't have any issues. There were sick birds at that Show. Before I came home I drove thru a Car Wash to make sure I didn't bring anything home as well as removing my shoes and wearing another pair I took to change into.

If I go, I go prepared, and its much like Vehicle Insurance, do I carry Liability or Full Coverage? And Can I replace what could be Lost?

I think you have to ask yourself that first. I'm not against getting the birds out there, there needs to be a Plan in Motion for the Risk and an Objective that has Validity.

I already know finding more Black Hens like I already have is Slim to None.

Victoria

Anyone help me with this... What happens when you cross Partridge and black?

Geebs,

I had one Hen that was 1/2 Partridge and 1/2 Black, I was not going to use her for breeding, she was Black looking with a few copper feathers in the neck close to the skin, and she had a peppering of brown on some of her body feathers, her eggs were destined for the refrigerator only. I let them out one day and she didn't come back, infact I had to retrieve 2 of them at 10PM at night wading thru hip deep snow to get them caught, so I won't make that mistake again. Possibly chicks from the ones I have after I've handled them as chicks will be better birds as adults. The birds I have were not handled at all, if they were it was very little, it has taken me months to get them to come towards me to even get food and water, so they are improving. As soon as the weather breaks here and I can get my brother to come out and help me their coop will be finished and they will have to have a Penned in Yard Area that is enclosed on all sides and ontop as well. The Old Man I got them from told me to keep them penned up for a week and then let them out and they should stay around and come back, they didn't, not all of them anyway, so until I get their Coop finished and the Penned in Yard area made for them they are not out. I don't like keeping them caged but if I let them out I won't have them to use as breeding stock, so its in their best interest that they are currently caged and safe.

Victoria

well we have been working on a website for the club... it is www.penedesencausapoultryclub.com

its still a work in progress i need input ppl!!! info and pic's... plus i need ppl to email me threw the website with the info they want on the site as part of the breeders/member lists
i need
name
address
phone number
website
the colors of penedesenca's that you have
the numbers of each color that you have
and how long you have been breeding each color

of course all this is optional ill post on there whatever you all want... but i would really like to make it as compleat as i can... i would like to get an accurate census of the numbers of each color of the breed...

membership will be free for one year for all the ppl that sign up and send me there info prior to june 1st 2010

you can allso email me at [email protected] pls do not post it here as i need to be able to save it untell i get it put on the site...

im supper exited to be working on this!!! help me out pls
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Elias in Clinton arkansas

Back
Top Bottom