Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
wow one hole day and no new replys
sad.png

I think maybe there was a glitch with the subscriptions. I am subscribed so that I know when updates are made to this forum, and I was surprised when I checked tonight, that I had missed several days worth of information and conversations. Rats. I've been busy, but not that busy to at least see what's been going on. Maybe that explains the lack of conversations.

BTW, I got 6 eggs from Josh about 3 weeks ago, and now have 5 beautiful black chicks to add to my collection. I think that 5 out of 6 on shipped eggs is phenomenal. The only reason there weren't 6 hatched is because one didn't make it all the way out of the shell. Thanks Josh! I don't have an incubator, and the person that did the hatching for me was really impressed. They are really vigorous healthy chicks.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

He raises white faced black spanish, and based on his experience with hatching those, thinks that I have 2 roos and 3 pullets. Hope he is right. Either way, I win, since I have 2 black hens that I really like. I hope by next year to have something to pass on to others. What doesn't go into the breeding program will go into my mixed flock that I have for eating egg customers. We are also transforming our acreage into a bio-dynamic / permaculture model, of which poultry plays a big part. The Penedesencas, especially, are great foragers, and now that they are out most of the day, are not eating much of the expensive organic feed I have for them. They have also continued to lay very well, just as they did all through the winter.

Thanks again Elias, for your work in finally putting together the pieces to get a club started. It was needed very much. If everyone is able to pull together all the info they have collected in one place, it will be a great resource.

Last edited:
I know I've had the same issue with the posts not coming thru my email and I always select subscribe to this topic everytime I post, so it must be a Glitch.

Congradulations on your new chicks Denise. When you get some pictures of them it would be great to see them, if you took pictures now it would show the down colors of the chicks.

I saw the link Elias posted and it looks pretty good, once we get some of the areas filled in it will really be nice.

Victoria

I've tried the picture thing, but it is just a bunch of blurs. They act like they will when they are grown, as far as I can tell. A strange noise, and they are off like roadrunners. Apparently they think my voice is a strange sound as well. The new chicks are in with the Partridge/Black crosses, but they are temporarily banded so I can tell who is who. Some of the crosses are nicely black, and some are obviously going to have some red in them when they mature. I should have taken pics when I banded them, but it didn't occur to me.

I think I may have located another source of blacks, but need to contact them again, plus I have an order of blacks coming from Sandhill in August. I am sharing those with someone else. If all works out, I will have selections from 4 different sources. It is hard to say how close any of these are related to each other, because of the small numbers there are, period. However, if the vigor of these chicks is any indication, things might not be too bad in that regard.

Very happy to hear about your newly hatched chicks,
big_smile.png

As for myself I have about 3-4 days left before my hatch
fl.gif

I'm up to my ears in chicks already
wee.gif
But, you can never hatch enough
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
chicks. I think hatching eggs and chicks is the best part of raising chickens.
big_smile.png

I think I only have about 6 chicks that are coloured, they are RIR the rest are all black & yellow, they are Black Penedesenca,WFBS,& Black Araucanas.

I hatch my last Penedesenca 5 chicks of the year,
big_smile.png

they came 1 & 2 days earlier than the hatch date.
Guess the incubator was a little on the high side.
roll.png

Quote:
I can have those Spanish sites translated. My husband is from Spain and is a fluent spanish-english translator & writer. His degree is in Spanish. If someone sends me links to the sites, I can get him on it in his free time.

You can cut and paste into a online free translator...I do this all the time.
smile.png
Waaay too easy

website progress

it seams that as soon as you volunteer for something then you get real busy lol... so i have not had as much time to work on it as i would like to... but its coming along... i still need a few more pic's... im looking for pic's of
wheaten chicks... i would like a side by side comparison of a male and female...
Black's chicks and adults...
partridge chicks... can you sex them at hatch??? if so then i need a side by side like the wheaten...
white emp chicks and adults...

i still need more people to email me there info for the breeders list... i would like to know how long everyone has been breeding each color... and pls include how many of each color that you have... i would really like to get a good idea of the numbers here in the USA...

and if anyone has any ideas for more pages for the site let me know... or if you have info you could type up and send me that i could put on the site i would appreciate it...
thanks y'all...
Elias

Back
Top Bottom