Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
That is just the way it is this time of the year. This is the first time I've checked my email in 3 days, and that is highly unusual. I think we have to accept that we all have other lives as well.

Keep up the good work, and thanks from me, at least.
woot.gif

OK I finally have pictures of the Crele Penedesenca chicks I hatched earlier this month. I have two that look a like, but are they Crele hens? The last one a Crele roo? What do you guys think? (Pardon the bad photography...they would not cooperate!)

5919_img_1992.jpg

5919_img_2000.jpg

Last edited:
Kel, I'd say they're two hens and a roo. Knowing the little I do about the crele coloring, that's what it looks like to me, but maybe I am simply hopeful for you / us!!!
lol.png

Crele

I thought the males were suppose to have a light spot on the back of the head. That third chick could be carring a dilution gene that is in some of the partridge colored birds and the crele is based off the partridge . If u notice the head is a lighter color, which the male should be a lighter color. But if it is a hen then its the other gold like factor showing. In a regular partridge it turns the females yellow gold in the neck and head. If it werent a creole then they look like a buttercup. I am still working on it because that color is also produced in Empordanesa or that gene. Creole are not in the Empordanesa. But on sex linked bar birds there is suppose to be a light colored spot on the back of the head. I thought is was suppose to be in the males? I havent bred form mine yet. So since the picture shows that chicks back skull and there is no spot there. If the father is an impure sexlinked barred bird then you could get a male without the head spot, but should be as dark or nearly as dark as the pullet chicks. Hetero sex linked barred male birds show better because they have stronger colored stripes or barring than a pure male has. The pure male from having two doses of barr and the way it dilutes color they have a blurr look to the bar. The impure male has stronger lines in the feather. Some show people just use the pure male in the breeding pen, but for showing they raise up the impure male to show, there is more contrast in the colors in the stripes. If and when you breed from an impure male you will get some plain partridge females out of the hatch but all the males hatched will still be impure creole males and you will get crele females also. If your pure males start to look too blurry in the pattern then it recommended to cross out to a partridge female to restore the barring quality. It should not be done on a regular basis. Acutally a wheaton barred male and partridge barred male look exactly alike just like they do with out the sex linked barring gene. Only differance is in a few males haveing a lighter neck coloring. The wheaten barred female would look differant than a partridge crele female, she would be lighter in color but still striped or stippled. This is all taken from breeders notes of long standing in OEG breeders on cuckoo and creole breeding. Creole are bred based on any of the e allel genes, those being ,birchen, wheaten, brown red (which are partridge)and bbr with the bar gene added, thats the basic formula's for cuckoo and crele breeding. Bbr color is not present in the Penedesenca at least not here in the US unless someone has added it, but it produces the strongest colored crele birds. I am interested to see what sex that chick turns out to be. If his comb starts to swell quicker than the others then it probably is a male.

sjcolorwing, WOW!! That was so very helpful!!!!! Here is a picture of the 3 chicks I hatched as day olds.... The barred bird is the darker gray one on the left with the small top spot. The ones I think are pullets are the brownish chicks with smeared top spots.

5919_img_1961.jpg

Anyone have pictures of 4 weekish old Crele and Partridge chicks??

Cool , it looks like they all have a white spot on the head. It just didnt show in the other. The one probably is a rooster. Usually on most of my chicks when they are about the day you took those pictures , the roosters will show more comb on their heads and the females will start to grow tails first. So far it has worked except on one black chick I thought was a female but turned out to be a male. Slow comb grower I guess. There is alway that exception to the rule out there.
Partridge chicks will look very similar to your females wing pattern to various degrees, in the wing that is, look for the barring. AT hatch they have stripes on their backs. If wheatens carry partridge they wont be yellow, they will have pattern that is slightly blurred or washed. If for some reason just males keep hatching out and you dont know what to look for you could have a wheaten rooster and not know it in a group of partridge chicks. The impure wheaten females , (wont be yellow either) will feather out like a wheaten female but tend to be a little darker and have more pencil marks in the hackle. Same for a wheaten male if he is impure he will have more pencil marks in the hackle. Some pencil marks are normal, its just training the eye. Feathered out the males can look very close in color. Not sure if you can sex pure wheaten chicks, there might be a slight color tint differance. I havent hatched enough of them to know. But if they are pure wheaten as soon as the feathers start you can sex them because fo the feather color differance. Some of the wheatens will carry that barring gene and it will show in the juvenile feathering. It tends to molt out especially in the males.

Back
Top Bottom