Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Quote:
I'm not in your area, but I ship birds all over
smile.png

New to Penedesencas. I have two Partridge girls and one Wheaton boy at least I think its a boy. Can these two be breed and I get some of both or what good happen? Sorry it sounds dumb, but I come from environment that tells no question is a dumb one, someone else might want to know the same answer. So can anyone tell me if this I can do this? Thank you Michele

You can cross them and many have. As wheatens sometimes throw partridge chicks. But the partridge penedesenca also carries the autosomal barring gene. And you would probably want to breed that back out as you stabilize your lines of pure wheaten and pure partridge. This barring gene should not be confused with the sex linked barring gene that creates crele and cuckoo colors, but they are similar in the way they look. The crele penedesenca is eb based so it can have the other barring gene in with it and it creates a differant type of crele and changes the way the sex linked barring acts and looks.. Pure autosomal barred birds can look striped like a crele or cuckoo but they wont be of the sexlinked types. This autosomal barring affects the pattern on the backs of the chicks when they hatch and you can identify them. Except with wheatens because they are clear chicks unless they are carring partridge or some other genes. Autosomal barring shows in the juvenile feathers usually on the secondary flight feathers. It may or may not molt out If it dosent it creates lacing in the feathers. When they are bred for show this is called pencillng, combined with other genes it creates lacing on blue andalusion chickens pencilling on wyndotes , lacing on silver polish and silver wyndotes and spangles on the silver spangled hamburgs and lacing on the barnvelder. But it only dose this when it combined with certain other genes. In its simplest form it is what you see in the penedesenca. If you dont cross your birds together then you could get some that have this to be selected against anyway as people have crossed them.

Here are a few of my Black Penedesenca started chicks, they are about 2-4 month old. I am going to sell these though. I think have too many Penedesenca !
lol.png
lau.gif

12005_young_black_penedesenca_pair.jpg

Back
Top Bottom