Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Josh44 Do your females have combs as adults??? They look like little marans.

I am looking for a correct example in my area if there is one. I wish to buy and adult.... Shipping is hard on them.

Last edited:
The pictures of very young pullets and cockerels,
My hens combs are like a leghorns they hang over.
Let me see if I can find a pic. I will post a pic in a few minuites.

Here you Go,
Here's a pic of a Penedesenca hen, Her comb is leaning in the opposite direction of when I took the pic.
To my understanding, They should somewhat look like a larger fuller size leghorn.

12005_10_033.jpg

I know what you mean about Marans combs, I have some wheatons, Cuckoos,and blue coppers,
Some have an incorrect comb, My Marans combs are leanning over just a little to much, so I can see what you mean.
I am needing to cull heavier on all my fowl. I just havn't found the time, culling can be a dirty job, but it has to be done.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I am kinda wanting a serious person in my area to take this project off my hands... I am not interested in trying to continue to breed the penes... They are aggressive to my other flock....AWESOME birds, don't get me wrong but I had an occurance where the pene killed my best breeding marans roo... I just don't want to chance it again as it set me back 3 generations in that project.

Yes i to have noticed penedesenca have a mean streak in them,
I have a quad that wont allow any others joing their group, they have even gone as far as killing their own sisters & their own young the chicks were about 4 months old there was about 10 of them and they killed about 4-5 . Because of this I have had to start 3 separate flocks of black penedesenca.

Counted my chickens Today,
I have about 13 extra Black Penedesenca.
13 extra Turkens,
5 welsummer,
2 Rhode Island red, & and an araucana rooster or 2 .
th.gif
and just when I thought I had got rid of my extras.

I guess I'm havein the chicken special tonight
D.gif
J.K
lau.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I am breeding for milder personality and killing mean roos and eating the eggs of mean hens. Hoping to see better temperament. It does vary somewhat in the birds. I have seen some be very sweet and tolerant of other roos. I have cuckoo marans and they are very tolerant fellows (too lazy to fight) and the girls are sweet too. I am hoping to get my black penes closer to that personality - though I still want them to be zippy and a bit paranoid. One more thing too work on!!!

Quote:
I've had this problem too. My hens killed SEVERAL teenages (4+ months old) after seeming accepting them. I (maybe) have found a new cockerel that my Wheaten girls don't hate completely. He's an outcross bloodline, so I hope they like him because he's STAYING~LOL The birds I'm raising are SO different than my original girls. I was feeding this morning and felt somebody crawl up on my foot, nothing new there
big_smile.png
What surprised me is that it was a Pene Cockerel! He was just hanging out on my shoe, waiting for me to finish scooping feed. Zac (3) scooped up another one a little while later and was hugging it and carrying it around...maybe it's the heat
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom