Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Does anybody

know if creole penedesenca lay really dark eggs ?

I am possibly looking for pure creole penedesnca, I have seen some creoles that are just flat out marans x pene crosses.
somad.gif

they are too fat & big & look like marans
rant.gif
I am looking for some pure creole penes.
fl.gif

Does anybody know Who has them ???

Can someone post pics of some creole penedesnca.
pop.gif

Thanks

Last edited:
Josh, do you sell Black Penedesenca hatching eggs or chicks? I might be interested in some next spring. I'm also looking for Wheaten eggs or chicks, I think I'll get some of those from rarebreedeggs4u. I've contacted her and she said she'll have babies.
smile.png

ETA: There's a few breeders that have Crele stock on the Penedesenca USA Poultry Club website, here's the link to that page- http://penedesencausapoultryclub.com/breeders
No
pictures of their eggs though.
hu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Josh,

I recently bought some Wheaten hens & a pullet that were obviously not pure upon closer inspection. They are likely Wheaten Marans crosses, since they are single combed
somad.gif
is right! I hatched out 2 eggs from them and my roo as an experiment and they are as striped as they can be...not amused. They only spent a few days in the barn and were turned loose with the mixed free range flock
tongue.gif

The chicks will also go out as free range birds when they are old enough. They are seperated from the true Penedesenca chicks and will be wing banded for permanent ID.

I don't know about the Crele. I think the eggs are lighter than the other colors, but I could be mistaken. My Wheatens lay eggs easily as dark as the Black Copper Marans I have, about a 5 on the Marans chart. Perhaps a bit darker and a bit lighter on occasion, but they are MUCH more consistant than the Marans.

Jeremy, thanks for the mention
hugs.gif
We do have NICE Wheaten eggs and chicks available. Chicks and started birds can be shipped again in a month or so, when this horrible heat lets up.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
No problem! Those babies are on my list for next year!
fl.gif

Do you have pictures of your birds? I haven't ever really seen adult Wheaten stock, or eggs for that matter.

Quote:
This makes me happy, I wish BYC had a like button!
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
No problem! Those babies are on my list for next year!
fl.gif

Do you have pictures of your birds? I haven't ever really seen adult Wheaten stock, or eggs for that matter.

Quote:
This makes me happy, I wish BYC had a like button!
lol.png

Thanks!

Here are the parent stock
41991_dscf1444.jpg

Here are some Wheaten babies
41991_dscf2288.jpg

Wheaten & Partridge chicks hatching (and eggs). The light egg is a Cochin.
41991_dscf1748.jpg

Partridge Chick (we no longer carry Partridge)
41991_pp.jpg

Wheaten Chick
41991_dscf2251.jpg

Quote:
Josh,

I recently bought some Wheaten hens & a pullet that were obviously not pure upon closer inspection. They are likely Wheaten Marans crosses, since they are single combed
somad.gif
is right! I hatched out 2 eggs from them and my roo as an experiment and they are as striped as they can be...not amused. They only spent a few days in the barn and were turned loose with the mixed free range flock
tongue.gif

The chicks will also go out as free range birds when they are old enough. They are seperated from the true Penedesenca chicks and will be wing banded for permanent ID.

I don't know about the Crele. I think the eggs are lighter than the other colors, but I could be mistaken. My Wheatens lay eggs easily as dark as the Black Copper Marans I have, about a 5 on the Marans chart. Perhaps a bit darker and a bit lighter on occasion, but they are MUCH more consistant than the Marans.

Jeremy, thanks for the mention
hugs.gif
We do have NICE Wheaten eggs and chicks available. Chicks and started birds can be shipped again in a month or so, when this horrible heat lets up.
smile.png

clap.gif
WOW I had no idea that the wheatons layed as dark as marans, I thought that only blacks layed the dark eggs.

Going to have to get some wheatons later in the year for sure.
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I currently have no penedesenca left on my property,
I gave them all to a friend of mine.

We will be teaming up later in the year, & should be selling hatching eggs from the blacks.
We have not talked about it lately so not to sure.

keep up with the thread & I'll let you know.
thumbsup.gif

Here are Wheaten Penedesenca eggs on the left and middle and Black Copper Marans eggs on the right. Both groups are 6 months into their laying cycle. These are in a turner in my egg cooler, so they aren't rearrranged. The darker Pene eggs are actually in the middle. I put eggs in as they are collected and don't touch them again (to prevent oil deposits) until they are packed for shipping or set out to warm to room temp. for the incubator. All of these eggs ship out tomorrow.

41991_dscf3463.jpg

Creole Pene can lay a pretty dark egg, but some dont. They should be a good solid terracotta red brown, but not as dark as some of the blacks. My blacks have a differant brown and it has more depth to the color and is more of a brown towards a chocolate than a red terracotta, and they have darker chocolate freckles. But I have herd of a few reports that the creole had just a brown egg and not that dark.

Its always best to try to purchase eggs and hatch them yourself so you can mark the darkest eggs and the chicks. Photo's are misleading even though they are better than verbal descriptions. Shipped eggs are a gamble but so is buying started chicks if they dont end up laying as dark an egg as you like. You have no barometer at that point,since you never saw the eggs they hatched out of. If you hatched them at least you know they came from good laying stock and the egg color shouldnt be that hard to improve on, if they came out of a dark egg. Time of year and laying season can affect some individuals. And I do mean individuals, quality is always a matter of selection by the breeders. No group of specific color is 100% in equality. My blacks egg shell color has not declined at all thru the season and yet my other birds have now and then changed egg shell color. I do have one black hen who's egg color isnt as dark, but is as dark as some of my other birds.

Just a few days of temperature break seems to have helped some. Creole can be mated freely with eb whether the eb has the pencilling gene or not isn't but for a matter of taste as to how one likes the sexlinked barring mixed with the pencilling gene or not. The pencilling gene or autosomal barring gene ads a wavey look to the sexlinked barring . I think it perks up the sex liked barring color on the females especially. But it is a matter of taste.

I do know of one breeder of creole that posted pictures of the eggs on the Pene web site , they looked pretty dark. Yet another breeder who got stock from them is very disappointed with the egg color, from what they emailed me ? So it is very hard to generalize and take it to the bank.

Back
Top Bottom