Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Quote:
We could make that happen
wink.png

Quote:
Penes aren't a breed for everyone, they are definitely their "own bird"!! Some like them, others not so much. I chose them because they are so unusual, and personally I enjoy having some independent birds in my flock. I purchased my first chicks from an urban farm store-sure learned my lesson with that! I believe they must've came from a wh/part mixed flock. Of 5, 3 roos 2 hens, one roo has yellow legs, another was mostly just orange, the 3rd is decent and he's in the pen with the 2 hens.

I have a small flock of young partridge penedensenca's, 5 hens and one roo. The roo has yellow legs instead of slate, the hens all have slate. If I use him for breeding will he produce a mix of babies with slate and yellow legs or is the yellow trait dominant? My thought would be to hopefully get a baby roo with the slate legs then use him for my breeder and cull the one with yellow legs. I am just a hobbyist at this point but who knows in the future. If I am going to breed, I want to breed true to the standard. Any information would be appreciated.

Quote:
How exciting to learn of another Pene enthusiast so close to me-I'm near Molalla. I too have a yellow-legged Roo, as well as a slate-leg, both partridge. I think yellow-legs are somewhat dominant over slate, hopefully someone will chime in with that info. I've acquired a few more Pene roos though and the older ones will have to go. If you're interested in my slate-leg pm me. Also, where'd you get your Penes?

I'm going to pick up a Wheaten Penedesenca chick tomorrow everyone! I'm so excited!
ya.gif

I'm praying that it's a little girl.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
I wanted a Pene to cross with my BW Ameraucana roo to create some W/BW Olive Eggers with, I previously had what I thought were pure Wheaten Penes earlier this year, but I ended up having to rehome them because there was a chance that they might have been crossed ith Partridge birds.

I'm so thrilled to get another chance to have this breed!
big_smile.png
Pictures are sure to come soon!

Hey!

Just wondering does anyone have pictures of Olive Egger Eggs using a Penedesenca? And do you breed Penedesenca Rooster to Araucana Hens or Araucana Rooster to Penedesenca Hen?

Anyone have pictures? And could you list which cross you used?

I don't have any Olive Eggers and wanted to see pictures of which cross works best.

Thanks.

Victoria

I have a friend that has used both Pene males X Ameracauna hens & Ameracauna male over Pene hens.

To make olive eggers, they were breed to look like ameracaunas but w/ a higher tail.

Quote:
i would breed with what u have... maby order some of a different bloodline to add in later... just cull hard for it next year... some of my white Emp's have white legs im hoping to have all of them culled out next year...

In my Bantam Marans they are a white legged breed, I had 2 different Roosters I am using, one is Cuckoo from Trish Foss lines, and I only used that Rooster with 2 Bantam Black Copper Hens that are also Trish Foss line birds, I got split gened chicks for gold and silver in my F1s and that is where I am with them now, I have to breed my F1s together to hopefully get the Black Coppers and Birchens as well as Golden Cuckoos and Silver Cuckoos, at any rate out of the split gened chicks I hatched out 8 chicks with yellow legs, I waited until they were over 4 months of age to make sure the leg color wasn't going to change, I got told in the Marans the yellow legs are recessive, so one hen and one rooster both have to carry the gene for it to express itself in the chicks, now I am getting ready to test my breeders, and I know its in the one Roosters line and at least one of the Bantam Black Copper Hens, for these to test I got told to get a yellow legged breed and breed to my birds, mark the chicks from each bird, any that show yellow legged offspring is the hen and rooster that carry it. I got Bantam Welsummers for testing with because they was close to the same size as the Bantam Marans. So in Marans the yellow leg is recessive. You can use a recessive with a non recessive and they say it passes at 50 percent, which is what I'll do because the Bantam Marans gene pool is so very limited, then I'll test the offspring also to see who got it and who doesn't carry it and use the ones that don't carry it for breeder birds, its quite lengthy and I see it as the only way to salvage as much of the gene pool as I can and to get it cleaned up. All mixed breed chicks will be culls but will give me the results I need to know for future breedings.

There must be some test for also testing for the slate legs like there is for me testing for recessive yellow. I'd think if you bred to that Rooster with yellow legs and got Slates legged birds from him, that you would want to test the offspring and get rid of it at that point, which is what I am doing with the Bantam Marans.

Hope this helps and wish I knew the answer to your question, I know I got some Partridge Penedesenca chicks earlier this year from Meyers and their leg color wasn't right either and I had yellow legs in them also, and I got rid of all of those chicks after they turned over 4 months of age, I have the Black Penedesencas and a pair of Crele Penedesencas I'm going to be working with and decided I didn't want to mess with the Partridge ones that had leg color issues. I was able to get a Black Rooster from Denise and am thrilled with that Rooster, now I can start breeding Blacks in the spring.

Victoria

Then I'm also raising a flock of Bantam Welsummers to keep

Back
Top Bottom