Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Thanks, Jeremy. Appreciate the response. Do you have more Penedes Fantasies, or is the one wheaton enough? If you want more, let me know, maybe we can share. Jerry Pool seems like a good guy, quick response. I am a bit hesitant to splurge on hatching eggs for my first time, maybe try some ducks eggs I have here first.

Quote:
Luke... it's like you read my mind. I was just thinking, "Hm, where could I put a couple more Penedesencas?"

lol.png

I looked up the Ebay listing and the egg color looks nice, a few of the eggs look to be speckled, that's something that I like even more!

I really think Penes would be an excellent addition to the project you're thinking about working on too, from everything I've read online they are incredibly thrifty, great foragers and are heat tolerant. Considering their body type I would expect them to be good egg layers too. Cross them with something a bit meaty, to create a semi dual purpose breed and voila. Ya know?
smile.png

PM me if you want to talk further about maybe sharing an order... I know I shouldn't but... blame it on chicken math!

ETA: I don't know if you have a preference, but I'm really only interested in the Wheaten variety.

I have thought about a Pene project though... crossing some Black hens with a Splash Marans (clean shanked) roo in order to start a line of Blue Penes. If only I had more room.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I'm just trying to stay away from Penedesenca Marans crosses, my Bantam Marans could use better egg color but I'll keep breeding them to their own kind, I'm getting some imporovement in each generation with them. I know the Penedesencas pass their egg color I just won't use them with Marans or my Bantam Marans, I'm keeping everything strictly Pure Bred.

My Crele pullet just started laying eggs here this last month, the cockrel isn't breeding her yet, so I'll be waiting a while before I try Incubating any of their eggs.

The Black Cockrel named Texas from Denise is breeding my one Black Penedesenca Hen so that is good, no eggs yet but that is good that he's actually breeding the one I want him to breed. Now just to see eggs. Then I'll be happy!

Victoria

Quote:
Are you saying those dark eggs are from Wheaten Penes? :wo

Do you ever sell hatching eggs? I would love to have some Wheaten girls that lay like that!

The 2 darkest eggs were from one of my partridge hens. I suspect one of my new wheaten girls is laying a super dark egg though-really want a trap nest. Anyway, will be able to sell some eggs as soon as the little wh roo grows up!! For now I have a Part roo with 2 part hens and 2 wh hens.

Quote:
We have had fertility and hatching issues. In the beginning it was infertile eggs so I put the penes in a larger breeder pen but results didn't improve. Then swapped roosters with some improvement. Have swapped roos yet again and fertility is getting better BUT still have many penes that aren't hatching. Fertility and hatch rate is great with our other breeds, just poor with penes. The rooster that's with hens now was raised in confinement and has never free-ranged-which is what the breed prefers, so perhaps that was a factor with prior roosters?? Hatch rate still needs to improve though, we have a gqf sportsman and as I said great with all other breeds. Any suggestions??

As for failure to thrive; the ones we manage to hatch do great!!

Quote:
I have a young Partridge Roo that was bred by Jerry Poole. He's in the gangly stage right now but so far so good. Gorgeous leg color. Like his temperament too, not as flighty as some.

Back
Top Bottom