Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
For those of you in the cold climates, what do you do-if anything-to prevent frostbite on the roosters combs? We had about a week of chilly temps, like 20 at night. I went out the first evening and smeared chapstick on him, went to store for vaseline the next day and applied a thick coating it like every othe evening. Poor bugger still ended up with frostbit comb. Any suggestions other than heated coop? Thanks

It has been down to 10 below a few nights here. I have heat lamps that I turn on, and the lowest it got was 1 degree above with those running. I have pens inside my horse barn, and thus don't have a heated coop per se. The two mature roos have Some frostbite, and so we will see what it looks like when it warms back up again. The youngest roo so far has no frostbite, but I think it is because he is still growing, and maybe the blood supply is a little different in his comb.
So, basically, I don't do much of anything. The whole vaseline thing is just too time consuming and messy, especially if you have several roos. This is my first winter with these guys, so I may change things over time, but so far, I don't think the bit of frostbite that has occurred will amount to much.

My Empordanesa/Penedesenca cross Rooster has frost bite to the lobes of his comb, so just at the back of it now, it's been down below zero here too. I have Texas and the one Black Hen inside for the Winter, same with the Crele pair they are inside for the winter. The Geese are the only ones that want to be out in this weather.

Victoria

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words about my wee blog. I did get about 50-60% from my hatches. Most eggs were viable, but hope to get incubators in future that are a little more reliable with humidity than Hovabators. My colours for both my Partridge and Wheaten hatched true with blue shanks. (One of my Gabbard's hatching threw a white sport!)

Quote:
I have experienced some frostbite on my boys, but I find rubbing Tiger Balm into their combs works well to prevent it. It coats them and helps increase circulation/warming. Adding a small amount of cayenne pepper to food- approximately 1 tsp. per every 8 cups is also helpful for increasing blood flow. It's also a great source of vitamin C and capsaicin which is a great anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and for circulatory system support.

Since we have few sub-freezing nights here in NW Oregon, I don't mind taking the time to keep the boys as comfortable (and handsome) as I can. Even though we are pretty mild, I do put my ceramic heat emitter (screws into a light bulb socket; puts out warmth but not light) into my coops when we drop and stay 5 or so degrees below freezing.

I hadn't heard about adding the cayenne pepper, but that makes sense. I think I will add it to the mix of herbals. Thanks for the tip!
hmm.png

Well, I have been away from the thread for a while......pouting about my non-egg laying chicken pets! haha! However, we finally got a few nice days above 40 and the girls got to laying! I was able to collect enough eggs to fire up the incubator!!! I am giddy and just had to share my excitement!!
Here is a picture of my Crele Penedesenca eggs in the middle of a brown Golden Comet and blue Ameraucana eggs.

5919_img_2428.jpg

Back
Top Bottom