Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Pea, I believe. I hadn't really looked too close before, but looking back at other pictures I can tell its not straight. She come with an order from Meyer Hatchery. They carry the partridge penedesenca breed. I didn't order that breed so think it was my extra chick, my Meal Maker.
i cant tell is her comb a strait comb or pea comb??? what hatchery did she come from???

Last edited:
While a lovely bird, this is definitely not a Partridge Penedesenca. Feathering is too 'Welsummer' like, comb & conformation are not correct. Also, as a wee chick the shanks would truly be blue-- not dusky coloured. At her present age, there should be a larger wattle and earlobe.....

Thanks. I figured if anything hatchery quality wouldn't be close to show quality anyways. Whenever she gets older, if her coloring changes I'll post again. She is just 7 weeks, none of my other chicks of the same order (same age) are showing any increase in wattle or earlobe size except my roos. But I'll post another picture when she gets old to laying age. Thanks again.
While a lovely bird, this is definitely not a Partridge Penedesenca. Feathering is too 'Welsummer' like, comb & conformation are not correct. Also, as a wee chick the shanks would truly be blue-- not dusky coloured. At her present age, there should be a larger wattle and earlobe.....

You're welcome. She looks like a typical hatchery Ameraucana. Sometimes they do lack muffs-- which may be why they refer to them as 'Easter Eggers' since they lack that classic breed traits. She has the correct comb & shank colour for that breed. Her plumage pattern is what often comes from hatchery stock. I'm sure she will be a good, hardy layer for you!

All my Penedesenca at that age have the classic 'carnation' comb in evidence and are more uniform in the colouring of their plumage.

About 4 or 5 years ago a few hatcheries started selling pennies and they got poor stock that did not fit the description of the bird and since then there are a lot of poor specimins out there claiming to be pennies and are not. A true pennie should lay a dark of egg as a maran or darker and many do not. I actually have a few hens that lay that dark egg and when I show someone they are amazed by the color and the fact that a true pennie will lay almost as well as a leghorn.

I order 3 EE's from the same order and all three of those had the muffs/tuffs/beards. And all three had light green legs. Unfortunately all three of those didn't make it through the first 2 days. But I guess I'll see whenever she gets older what color egg comes out. Someone asked me if she had a pea comb and I said yea, I don't really know the difference between a carnation and a pea. Could you explain what a carnation should look like?
Here's a link to Meyer Hatchery's Partridge Penedesenca
http://www.meyerhatchery.com/produc...ickens&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT_ID = 'PAPS'
I know it may not be the best quality of this specimen, but its the closest I could find that resembles my bird, even the chick pictures. But I guess I'll will have to wait for her to lay an egg.
You're welcome. She looks like a typical hatchery Ameraucana. Sometimes they do lack muffs-- which may be why they refer to them as 'Easter Eggers' since they lack that classic breed traits. She has the correct comb & shank colour for that breed. Her plumage pattern is what often comes from hatchery stock. I'm sure she will be a good, hardy layer for you!
All my Penedesenca at that age have the classic 'carnation' comb in evidence and are more uniform in the colouring of their plumage.

Last edited:
Carnation comb is not a recognized comb description. It is a comb specific to penedesencas otherwise known as a Kings' comb.
I order 3 EE's from the same order and all three of those had the muffs/tuffs/beards. And all three had light green legs. Unfortunately all three of those didn't make it through the first 2 days. But I guess I'll see whenever she gets older what color egg comes out. Someone asked me if she had a pea comb and I said yea, I don't really know the difference between a carnation and a pea. Could you explain what a carnation should look like?
Here's a link to Meyer Hatchery's Partridge Penedesenca
http://www.meyerhatchery.com/produc...ickens&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT_ID = 'PAPS'
I know it may not be the best quality of this specimen, but its the closest I could find that resembles my bird, even the chick pictures. But I guess I'll will have to wait for her to lay an egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom