Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
buff penciled sounds neat too. I am going to play with a few olive eggers

crele penedesenca x cream legbar ( roosters look so close besides the combs) hens close just a different color similar pattern.
plus a wheaten ameraucana x wheaten penedesenca.
I may throw a few white ameraucana in with the emp's if I can not get eggs this fall which probably not seeing how you and Luann seem to be the only 2 others I know that raise them lol

Last edited:
Just made a 7 plus hour round trip and picked up 2 more crele penedesenca hens and she threw in a partridge hen as well.
creles are 7 months the partridge is 2 but still laying a bunch

That's some trip, IMO using 2 yr and older hens for breeding is a good thing. Chickens can live more than one season, so it seems to me that a hen that has a long productive laying life is an asset. I think that this is especially true in free range homestead situations where older smarter,birds with better survival instincts teach the younsters by example. Another reason to keep older hens is when you have a superior example of the breed who embodies both productivity and excellent breed type, we don't have an excess of those in Penes at present. With hens that are confined to pens and totally protected from dangers it certainly is more profitable to breed for the highest first season of production and turn them over at end of the first laying season. However I believe that the aims of the ALBC and SPPA is to breed for long term productivity with the Heritage breeds, and that is my personal preference. my pennys worth of thought. Bill

Last edited:
I agree. she is molting now so not really good looking lol. I plan on keeping all mine around a few years if they lay well and have good behaviour . For me they have been so hard to get ahold of as well I cant see getting rid of them that quick not knowing what I will find next.
this next year I hope to get in eggs from Black , Crele , partridge and white empordanesa and hatch more breeders girl and boy's swap the roosters into the newer ones and put a newer hatched roo with the existing hen's

It's nice to see that you are so enthusiastic. I would gladly send some eggs from my Blacks but not just yet, I've got a lot of work to do before then. It's going to take more time and effort before they show more uniformity . Got some promising pullets but disapointed in the cockerels so far. Seems I've got two sizes , some are lighter, and others are much heftier. In that the blacks are supposed to be dual purpose I am leaning toward breeding the bigger. I can hear it now " they have Maran blood", who cares, I don't. If nobody else wants them, so what ? They are for my enjoyment and as the saying goes, " if it looks like a duck"etc. I believe that the two breeds could be related if you look at a map and the regions they come from. IMO Purity is Not Sacred. As breeders we are "gene shufflers". Also a move is in the works and don't want to overload myself before I know where I will be living. Good luck and keep us updated with pics. Note: This is not an attempt to Flame or anger anyone or cause strife. merely one man's opinion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom