Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
We have had a Barred Rock, a Buff Brahma, an Iowa Blue, and four Ameraucana for close to 3 years. They have been great pets and are super tame.

This fall we purchased 1 Buff Polish, 3 Partridge Penedesenca, and 3 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte from MyPetChicken (Arkansas?). The neighbor poodle culled 2 of the Penes and 2 of the Wyandottes... so I have ordered 6 Penedesenca eggs as I can't find any chicks. Hoping for one good Pene roo to take care of the poodle. ;-)

A breeder in Atlanta area said I could buy some Black Penes if I drove down. 12 hours of drive time did not sound economical or appealing. I do not know of other breeders nearby.

Hope we can do our part in introducing Penedesencas to NC. Do you know if there is a specific standard/ideal chicken that I can try and match ours to?

Thanks.

We have had a Barred Rock, a Buff Brahma, an Iowa Blue, and four Ameraucana for close to 3 years. They have been great pets and are super tame.

This fall we purchased 1 Buff Polish, 3 Partridge Penedesenca, and 3 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte from MyPetChicken (Arkansas?). The neighbor poodle culled 2 of the Penes and 2 of the Wyandottes... so I have ordered 6 Penedesenca eggs as I can't find any chicks. Hoping for one good Pene roo to take care of the poodle. ;-)

A breeder in Atlanta area said I could buy some Black Penes if I drove down. 12 hours of drive time did not sound economical or appealing. I do not know of other breeders nearby.

Hope we can do our part in introducing Penedesencas to NC. Do you know if there is a specific standard/ideal chicken that I can try and match ours to?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about the neighbors Poodle. My neighbors little dog got through the fence, but he was scared of my big girls
gig.gif
and ran from them until I could get him back home.

You can combine the Spanish SOP and the US general ones. If you get the current APA, there are standards there for all breeds and then specific ones for each breed. I do not know if Penedesencas are not accepted yet.

I suspect that since Penes are rare, recovering and very rare depending on the sub breed, there is a lack of really good ones. There seems to be a lack of both really good looking ones and very good dark egg layers. It is hard to work on both. Marans have the same problem and there are more of them around.

It is great that you are going to work on them!

Ron

Last edited:
Losing the chicks was hard on the wife and kids as each was claimed and named. We had them inside but it was a nice day out and their box needed cleaning... they were so close to the house. My fault... football game.

On the positive side it pushed me more in thinking of not just having a few Penedesencas to actually raising them. Wondering what kind of weird looking chickens we will have with a Pene roo and all the other breeds... fortunately the dark eggs of the Pene hens shouldn't be too hard to determine. Do you have a link to the Spanish SOP? I guess I will try googling it.

Luann Keller (sp?) is in Greer SC i think... look it up on the club website and email her... im at work or i would look it up for u...
yes she is super nice and extremely devoted to Penedesenca. she has Partridge as well. also a shout out to Ron here for aiding me while my incubator rests 330 miles away with my boss.
he is hatching partridge penedesenca eggs for me. hoping for a good hatch.
Thanks Ron.

Back
Top Bottom