Calling all Tennessee Lovers!

I have 15 week olive egger mutts, cockerals and pullets. 5 week crested cream legbar/russian pavlovskaya crosses, same. Free to good homes (or soup pots, I don't really care). Pick up only middle tn.

Where do we post about birds and swaps? I live in Birchwood, tn south east near Chattanooga. I raise salmon Faverolles mostly. Got bantam Faverolles a few months ago and in love. I have 5 button quail also. My reason for posting is questions about quail. I got 2 jumbo quail before I knew what I was getting into and found out both are males. And they don’t do well in pairs, they need a flock of girls 🤦🏼‍♀️☹️🤷🏼‍♀️. He’s cute but not sure I wanted to get into this many. I’ll post a picture of the boy I plan to keep and the white jumbo boy who needs a home.

Attachments

• D0E17435-BF3C-47DE-B570-729BB64D20CE.jpeg
    D0E17435-BF3C-47DE-B570-729BB64D20CE.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 1
Where do we post about birds and swaps? I live in Birchwood, tn south east near Chattanooga. I raise salmon Faverolles mostly. Got bantam Faverolles a few months ago and in love. I have 5 button quail also. My reason for posting is questions about quail. I got 2 jumbo quail before I knew what I was getting into and found out both are males. And they don’t do well in pairs, they need a flock of girls 🤦🏼‍♀️☹️🤷🏼‍♀️. He’s cute but not sure I wanted to get into this many. I’ll post a picture of the boy I plan to keep and the white jumbo boy who needs a home.
You can post about selling chickens in this thread, or create your own thread advertising your sweet hen!

Hey y’all! We have 5 barred rocks, down from 7. I’m looking to grow the flock a bit but here are my “issues”

1. We are building a house and will have to move in about 18 months.

2. My coop is pretty crappy, a tsc prefab attached to a 10x16’ structure which is predator proof. It does the job but is not pretty! the girls lay in the tsc coop, but I can put up some nesting box alternatives for them in the other area. then, I can creat a brooder space, attached for the babies.

3. Currently on 1/2 an acre in suburbs, but will be 50 country acres when we move. Hawks are my nemesis.

My “optimal” idea to expand is to encourage one girl (barred rocks) to get broody and put some fertilized eggs under her, but I’m not sure of the timing. These girls were hatched February 17 last year. I think I want a black austrolop roo and some girls, and am tempted by buff orppington, speckled Sussex and lavender amercaunas. do you think these breeds compatible/ optimal with East Tennessee weather?

Cackle hatchery charges an extra $20 for less than 15 birds, but that seems too many. 7 seems optimal, 10 likely. Please help with my chicken math!

ps, we are a family of 4 with one headin off to college and mainly want to make egg production For our personal use, which averaged 30 eggs per week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom