Calling genetic gurus!

Shanna-stephens

Chirping
Apr 8, 2018
Northwest Arkansas
Hi everyone! :frow

I have a question, and please excuse my ignorance in regards to the area of genetics.. so let me see if I can type this out clearly enough for someone to understand my question. :p

A couple months ago my husband and I build a homemade incubator and wanted to try out hand at hatching eggs. My dad works for a company that has a flock of orpington chickens... 8 buff, 8 white, a buff rooster, and a white rooster. (All in the same run) We have always loved the orpington chickens and decided to try hatching some of our own. Expecting to get some buff, some white, maybe some in between..

Hatch day comes and they are all born and NONE of them are buff or white! :eek:we couldn't believe it. They are all dark colors... I'll try to attach pictures. They are almost 2 weeks old so I know they are pretty young but I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this before? And my main question is since it appears they will be black, or blackish with the exception of a few lighter colored ones (still not white, or buff) will These chicks be considered black orpingtons in the sense that I could buy a blue rooster and put on the hens and get b/b/s?? Or will the original genes of white/buff bleed through?? Just looking for some guidance and definitely a little hopeful as I love the blue orpingtons. :love
Sorry if this is confusing. The parents of these chicks came from McMurray hatchery, with zero interaction with an outside rooster. Please let me know your opinion or if there is a term for the color we have here... thanks in advance! Let me know if more info is needed. I will do my best to answer any questions.

20180411_132132.jpg
20180411_132105.jpg
20180411_132132.jpg
20180411_132105.jpg
20180411_132132.jpg
20180411_132105.jpg
20180411_132132.jpg
20180411_132105.jpg
here are the two colors that we have...
20180411_132105.jpg

I suspect that your Orpingtons aren't really Orpingtons at all. I see chicks with yellow legs. Orpingtons have dominant white skin.
You might have White Rocks and New Hampshires. White Rocks are usually recessive white, carrying barring. Recessive white birds produce black when crossed with other colors.
Really??... I am having my dad get some better pictures of the parent stock but I have a few and they do not appear to have yellow feet. Now, all of the chicks do though??... he will be there later today. Thank you for your reply! This definitely has me baffled! :hmm

Yep. No help from me either.
With white hens buff hens and a rooster of each I would of expected at least a couple of one or the other or both.
Not only did you get neither you got chicks in a pattern I wouldn't expect from those crosses of orpingtons.
Agreed something isn't right here but no way of knowing without seeing parents exactly what is off.

Okay... here are pictures of the parents... and there is no no way of another bird breeding the hens. Unless it was a crow or something of that nature ;) lol
What do you guys think??

Attachments

• IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0904.jpg