Calmest large breed rooster?

My local market seems to like Orps. There are two lav orp and a silver laced orp listed currently. All are 6-7 mo old, and just starting to crow. The newest orp ad is not too far away, so I plan to call seller this morning for more info.

I have never heard of oriental game fowl before. I see lots of ads for gamefowl roosters, and they are usually over $75 each.

My only experience has been with a golden laced Wyandotte. He’s great with the kids and me, but he doesn’t like my wife. Poor judgement on his part because the wife is the only reason he got to stay... I would have preferred zero roosters.

My cochin/salmon fav rooster recently sadly passed away. He was gentle, chill, and friendly (the complete opposite of his overly aggressive purebred cochin father). So now I'm searching for the next great chill rooster to watch over my ladies. While I surf the local classifieds, I figured I'd start a thread because personality is very important, and I'm only familiar with a handful of breeds.

I'm curious to get opinions about disposition of different large breeds of roosters.
Brahmas are good. Some cochins are aggressive but a lot of them are great roosters. Honestly, I don't like faverolles because (the ones I have at least) are super flighty and squawk like your trying to kill them if accidentally bump.

My experience is it all varies on the individual. I've had some that were so well behaved and others that were little jerk-wads! (I have other names but those aren't appropriate to post LOL)

The best thing I have found is getting them young and raising them out with you. Getting them very use to being handled early on and I've noticed less issues but again it goes back to the individual. Roosters being sold its going to be hit or miss. Sometimes they're being sold because they weren't the calmest or nicest roo in the bunch.

Just things to consider

We purchased a 7mo dark brahma rooster yesterday. He looks like a bald eagle, and seems pretty calm for a juvenile. We also purchased three 9-mo-old hens (2 lav orp and a silver laced wyan), from another seller, so the youngster would have girls his own age to integrate with.

It's snowing pretty hard this morning, but I'll try to get pictures when I go out to check on them.

Quick update.... our new rooster is starting to settle in nicely. He tried to stand up to a few birds initially, and after getting his butt kicked repeatedly, he quickly learned he is the smallest/youngest bird on the property. His behavior with humans is excellent and I'm pleased. He's nothing to look at now, but hope he develops into a gorgeous adult. Thanks for everyone's help in my search for a gentle giant rooster.

Baldy 1.jpg
baldy 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom