camera suggestions

mama2my4

Songster
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Julian, PA
My camera stinks. No way around it. And I need another. I have seen some awesome pics here on BYC.

What kind of camera do you have? Love it? Hate it? Why?

Thanks so much!!

I started with a Kodak Easy Share found in a trunk of junk car, then bought a tiny Canon PowerShot Elph 100HS from Amazon.com. Many of my photos on here are from this tiny little camera. Pros: so tiny the chickens/birds/ people didn't even notice it was there. Cons: easily dropped-lens error death. Camera lasted only a few months. The batteries are expensive. Some of my photos were taken with a Nikon CoolPix 5700 (found in closet at work) which is handy little thing that takes amazingly sharp photos. This camera requires multiple batteries as they have a short life. My latest photos are taken with a refurbished Nikon D5100 with a kit lens. This DSLR camera is the largest I own, and while I enjoy the photos I take with it, you can't sneak around and take pictures. The batteries are expensive but they last for 600 photos or so.

All cameras have pros and cons. Get out there and get your hands on what you want to try. Since lost cameras kept finding their way to me, I took the hint and bought something more adaptable to my needs. Since I don't plan to go pro, I could not justify spending $5,000 or more for a camera and lens. I bought the refurbished D5100 with two kit lens for $699.00 including a 1 year warranty on camera and lens.

If you want something cheap, don't knock the small cameras. They can do plenty for the beginner, and allow you to develop your photographer's eye. All you need is a steady hand and your imagination.

I started with a Canon Powershot A480 a few years ago. It's a cheap one, with a great Super Macro setting. Last year, I upgraded to a Canon Rebel XS. I bought a telephoto lense for it (55-250mm), and I'm planning on getting a macro lense for it as well.

I use the Rebel daily, and I get wonderful pictures out of it! The only issue I've ever had with it is indoor photography- these cameras were not made for indoor use. Unless you really know how to fiddle with the settings, don't use it for indoor pictures. The lighting always gets screwed. But it works wonderfully for action shots, and landscape shots.

I still use my little Powershot for all macro pictures. The Super Macro setting is ten times better than my Rebel's macro setting.

If you want a P&S camera, I wouldn't recommend Canon. At all. My sister had one and the pictures were grainy and not good quality. Plus within a year a lot of stuff on the camera was broken, and it wasn't from lack of care. My mom and I each have Kodak's and we love them. I think the photos are crisp and clear. Mine is an M360, not sure what Mom's is. The Panasonic Lumix is pretty good, too, I think. A friend of mine has one and her pictures are nice.
It's more of a matter of preference and what kind of features you are looking for.

I love my Rebel, it takes great photos. I have a Canon PowerShot, it's okay, but I have trouble with focus and auto-settings. My sister-in-law has a Kodak, takes really great pics - not sure what type it is. You don't have to spend a ton of $ nowadays to get a good camera.

I have used Canon SLR's for years and have been very pleased with the results. They allow you to play around with zoom, focus and good flashguns if you want really special pics. If I wanted a compact, I would probably keep to Canon.

well if you are a beginner to SLR i would suggest a D3100
it has a great guide step by step to do special effects (blurred backgrounds etc)

Back
Top Bottom