Camo netting or shade tarp?

Corazon Ranch

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 28, 2012
Howdy! Living in the desert of West Texas, my girls love their shaded run which is covered in army-surplus camoflage netting. It's great, and the best part is that it was free.

But now my neighbor has given me the task of building a coop and run for his flock, and given my experience, I think a shady area is important for the chickens. But he has to pay for all the materials, and camo netting isn't cheap, especially in the big size he would need.

So I'm fishing for opinions here. How do you create shade for your girls? Do you have a preference of material to cover the run? Or any pertinent experiences?

I've had one suggestion of shade tarp, which is like shade cloth but heavier and with grommets. I am partial to the camo netting, but truth be told, I probably wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been free.

Thanks in advance!

Camo coloring has nothing to do with the material it's made from...which is really what counts.

I use Coolaroo brand and like it...folded end edges over twice and put grommets in it.

Top edge grommets are screwed to 1x3, bottom edge grommets are hooked to mesh, folded under by a foot with pipe to weight cloth taut but moves with wind.

Last edited:
I use shade cloth from Lowes. It is sold by the linear foot and is about 6 foot wide so not expensive.

I also have left over metal roofing that I put in the run at a steep angle to block the afternoon hot sun. It is secured well and they use that area a lot.

Not all of my run has shade or shade cloth but they have choices that way.

I got a 12'x5' shade cloth that was meant to go over a chain link dog kennel for super cheap on clearance.

They sell 6' rolls of it at Tractor Supply that you cut to length and use as is or add your own grommets.

If you don't mind the "red neck" factor, you might check your local Craigslist and see if anyone is selling an old trampoline. I see them free all The time. The material makes a good shade cloth. Water will flow through it but it's still a good idea to put a post to hold the center higher.

Last edited:
Shade is important here too. Last Summer I used the triangular shade cloths you can buy at Costco. That worked well for shade but they started sagging quickly and just are not working for me now.

I planted a few trees in the run and just planted a bunch of quick growing shrubs. I am also going to plant some jasmine on the outside of the run fence where the sun hits in the afternoon, which should help. So, i am trying landscaping solutions this time.

Also, the coop is raised so they can go under it as well.

One other thing i did, I had some old pallets that i laid on top of some large pots for shade and hawk cover.

Camo coloring has nothing to do with the material it's made from...which is really what counts.

I use Coolaroo brand and like it...folded end edges over twice and put grommets in it.

Top edge grommets are screwed to 1x3, bottom edge grommets are hooked to mesh, folded under by a foot with pipe to weight cloth taut but moves with wind.

Count me in the redneck trampoline camp
lol.png

I have a pretty large run but only the first part is shaded. It's the kiddo's old trampoline stretched over the posts. We tried using bird netting like you use to protect your trees, but the span was too much when it snowed and the netting broke. Also realized we don't need to shade the entire run ( I want to say it's 68 x 32? I'm really bad with spatial). A smaller run would be more cost effective to shade. I second looking on CL for shade materials, or maybe some cheap used roofing to cover it depending on size.

Camo netting isn't just camo colored netting. It's a specific kind of material, opaque but lightweight, solid material but with tons of little curved slits in it. I don't think the OP prefers it for its color but rather it's lightweight nature that allows wind to pass right through.

Back
Top Bottom