Can 3 hens hatch 2 eggs?

bantamenace

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tasmania
We have 3 Wyandottes (bantam) who are all very broody and are currently sharing the sitting job of 2 fertile eggs. I am wondering what will happen if both eggs hatch, will they know who their mum is or will all the hens want to be the mum and cause fighting? The eggs are due to hatch in 2 days and I dont know if I should put just one hen by herself with the eggs or is co parenting going to work fine!! Any suggestions will be very welcome.
smile.png

I suppose if they shared this long they might continue to. Usually fights break out between broody hens and eggs get broken before they manage to hatch so you don't end up with 2 much less more parents. If yours are laid back enough and get along well enough to have shared the incubating job for 3 weeks it might be worth it to just leave them alone. However there is some risk of the chicks getting killed or hens injuring each other so it's your call. There's a risk of those things when only one is broody in the flock and many seperate out their broody hens to a dog kennel or other pen until the chicks hatch and are a bit older.

smile.png
Thanks for that, we have a small flock of only 4 so the 3 of them are all happy as anything sitting together and the non broody even comes in the lay her egg everyday into their nest. Hopefully all will be happy in co parenting world but i will watch out for squables. Fingers crossed for 2 happy little hatchlings.
smile.png

I had two hens share 7 eggs in one nest. One had been setting longer and was obviously primary when the other one started helping. When they were both setting, the second hen got two eggs. When they hatched we put both mothers into the mommy pen together. Finally the primary Mom went after the secondary Mom, about 2 weeks into the chick care. I made the mistake of removing the secondary Mom from the pen. Primary went after the babies as soon as they were feathered out. I removed her too.

Most of the chicks from that hatch group are doing well and getting tail feathers back. They are also our meanest group of chickens. Primary and secondary Moms (Geraldine and Calico) went broody again and are caring for chicks now. I'm keeping a good eye on them.

In my experience it is NOT a good idea to have more then one hen share a clutch. I did this once and both hens were the best of friends so when it came time for hatching the first chick to make it out got mangled by both hens fighting over it. I took one hen out and let the other hen raise the rest of the clutch.

i think this perhaps a community nestbox? hah..... tired. you shouldn't join them all, that's wasting the time of them, while they can lay an egg everyday when they're not broody and now no egg from 3 of them.

how good their *friendship* they'll fight when talk about *kids*. perhaps night kidnapping, every mom will try to kidnap from other at night
gig.gif
quite interesting.

i'll want to know the result. can you please share the pics now and when they hatch, that will be good to see the way they do when they found out they're sharing babies.
smile.png

good luck
fl.gif

Actually, you have an opportunity here if you think about it. If you can get fertile eggs for a breed of chicken you really really want, you have two broodies at the ready. Just have to get them to set in another nest box.

Back
Top Bottom