Can 4 week old chickens go off a heat lamp?

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
Ive had my chickens in the garage with a heat lamp on sense they were a day old. Well I have to move them to the shed today. Can 4 week old red sex links go without a heat lamp? The temps at night are from 40 -50, and they will be in a shed.

Thanks

~Bryan

I would put a heat lamp in one end of their coop. If they get chilly, they will hang out under it. Make sure they have room to move away from the lamp if they get too warm.

If they tend to sit directly under the lamp, your coop is a little too cold, if they are at the far end away from the lamp, it's too warm. If they scurry around all over the coop, it's just right.

I have this question also!
wink.png

They should be fine during the day but I would still keep the lamp available for them during the night for at least a few more weeks.

Quote:
That is also what I use as a guide line. If they are fully feathers, lost all the baby fluff then you can turn off the light.

I agree with the chicks distance from the heat lamp. I monitored mine and removed the lamp

Quote:
That is also what I use as a guide line. If they are fully feathers, lost all the baby fluff then you can turn off the light.

I agree with the chicks distance from the heat lamp and the feathers.
I monitored mine and removed the lamp at 7 weeks.
This was due to our night temperatures going down to freezing. But, now we in Summer heat (60's at night).
I connected a timer to turn the lamp on during the night and turning it off when the Sun came up.
A cheap 24-hour timer can be used. This will help in your power bill.

Dick.
Phelan, CA

Back
Top Bottom